Cop holdout not shot.

Comments

Pat Randall 1 year, 1 month ago

Why can't the same OC spray, a pepper spray like a chemical compound be used on some of the public instead of bullets?
If Mr. Lujan had been a regular citizen instead of a cop for the reservation would so much time and law enforcement been used and him not killed? I can answer that but would like to see some comments from other people first.

Rex Hinshaw 1 year, 1 month ago

I think that them knowing him made it possible for a non-lethal outcome. He had not harmed anyone....I think it was worked well.I feel sorry for all involved.

Here we go Rex, How did they know he wasn't going to shoot them? How many guns he may have had in his home? If they knew him so well, they should have known there was something wrong with him before he did all the shooting and wrecking cars. If he had not been a cop he would be dead now. We both know that.

Pat, I agree with you...magine that. I think that since they knew who they were dealing with , they were able to bring it to a non-violent conclusion. I believe if he had made any agressive moves....he would be dead. I don't think it was because he was an officer. I had a friend who put himself in a similar situation here in Payson. It was because the police knew him that it was resolved peacefully. Again , I think our law enforcement did a good job.

Ronald Hamric 1 year, 1 month ago

Pat, I agree with Mr. Hinshaw regarding this incident. I realize that there are many such "incidents" that are turned into high profile by the 24/7 media that would make folks believe that ALL police officers are trigger happy SWAT goons. Nothing could be further from the truth. Try researching just how many police officers have a full career in law enforcement and NEVER have to fire their weapon at another person. ALL police are not and do not reflect those "incidents" that you allude to. As with so many things, the 10% give the 90% a bad name. I did a ride along with Gila County Sheriffs and was witness to their handling of a similar type of 'incident" in Gisela. The outcome of that "incident" was the same as the one in Heber/Overgaard. Very tense situation but everyone came through the situation unharmed.

Maybe I have a bad attitude, but here in Payson I took one step out of my garage and had the whole swat team surrounding and on top of my house. At least three of them had guns pointed at me. A 71 year old barefoot woman with nothing but a nightgown on. Had to walk barefoot, across and up over rocks to get to them by their orders. Not a doubt in my mind if I had turned away, I would have been shot. At least three of them knew who I was. They kept screaming at me were there any guns in my house. They searched my house and broke a closet door in the process. About a week after it was over I asked for the police report. Took over a month and got three different stories on 3 different reports. No report taken at my house only my name. When I started with my first name the three that were sitting in my kitchen looked at me like I was the crazy and lying to them. That was the only question they asked me. Did get insulted by one of them. Enough said ?

Wow Pat, That is quite a story. Who did they think you were....Ma Barker :)

I said at least 3 of them knew me. Its a long stupid story, but they got to show their strength with their swat uniforms and guns. My daughter drove up while they still had me in the neighbors garage and really scared her.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.