Exotic Wine Store

Comments

Pat Randall 8 years, 6 months ago

Tim, I will try to find the time to go thru all my papers to show you that most of the fund raisers say they use the money for kids, scholorships , sports etc. I have had a problem with this from the first time I went to a council meeting about 6 years ago. When the Mavrick store was voted against, I asked one of the council members if they would vote yes for alcohol at the hotel at the rodeo grounds and they said yes. What difference does the location make except near schools? And an underage person can always find an adult to buy it for them. If someone wants to drink they will find it. A lot of violations are entrapment. An officer will take an underage person to a bar with false ID and then nail the owner. We had that tried on us several times when we had a liquor license. Never had a violation of any kind in 6 years. Believe me there are some good fake IDs out there, including drivers license. If a permanent business is asking for a liquor license, I don't think 7 people should sit up there and judge that there are to many of the same businesses in town. If you (the town) are going to do that with alcohol then you should do it on antique stores, vets, car repairs and any other business. After all the less competition the more money can be made by the first ones here. RIGHT?

None 8 years, 6 months ago

From the ads in the paper, it sounds like just another liquor store. We really didn't need that did we????? Now read todays paper on teenage drinkers. Way to go, huh????

Pat Randall 8 years, 6 months ago

The council did not want Mavrick store to have a liquor license as there were to many in town and voted it down, however the Ariz. liquor dept ok'ed it. When this one came up before the council they thought an upscale wine store would be fine. Alcohol is alcohol!! Exotic wine. It all taste about the same as far as I could tell when I had a liquor license. Change the label on a cheap bottle of wine and the upper crust probably wouldn't know the difference. Have you noticed how many one day liquor licenses are approved in Payson? Usually it is to raise money to help the kids. Is there something wrong with this thinking?

Tim Fruth 8 years, 6 months ago

As you may recall, Henley and I both voted against the license due to the sheer number of major violations their company has had including huge fines. Barriger was not at the meeting. Most interesting was Reese went from opposing Maverick to full support of this license. Could have been due to their presenting themselves as an upscale establishment that would even host wine tasting events. If you look and discover where their other stores are located, you will find nothing upscale about them. Their location in Payson has no upscale feel to it, just another package beverage store. Their past record of violations spoke loudly to me.

Most special event liquor licenses that have come before me during my time (1.5 years) have been for social events like Historical Society and have not been fundraisers for children that I am aware of. Several have been for church events.

Faye Musselman 7 years, 6 months ago

Pat, sometimes your logic escapes me. I'm referencing your last paragraph to the above post.

In large measure, the types of business establishments that will succeed in a community depends upon the demographics and average household incomes of that community.

Community development planning can influence and direct changes to those types of businesses. It's hardly up to 7 people making subjects.

That last sentence should have read:

"It's hardly up to 7 people making judgements."

mea culpa

Pat Randall 7 years, 6 months ago

I would like for someone to explain what an up scale liquor store is. It is all alcohol and as far as I am concerned all wine tastes the same. Terrible. I had a freind that worked at the Phx country club as a cocktail waitress. Asked her what was the difference in the drunks there and at an ordinary bar where you didn't pay dues. Her answer, "more obnoxious and smaller tips."

Phaye, I think we have both lost it. I clicked on here and thought the top post was for today, then went back after reading your post and noticed the top one is dated Oct. 20 2005. Yours has the time almost an hour after mine, but it was there when I checked to see if I had posted mine. Am I confused or is the board?

O.K they have moved the post around again, changed the times on them or something. I am giving up on here for awhile.

ATTENTION FORUM MODERATOR:

FIX THE POSTING TIME CLOCK. IT'S IN PSYCO MODE!!!

Pat: It's not you. It's not me. It's THEM!

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.