Welcome

Comments

Teresa McQuerrey 8 years, 1 month ago

This is a new feature, where readers can share their favorite recipes and cooking tips and ask questions — and I will do the same. Cooking and collecting recipes is one of my favorite hobbies and if it is one of yours I’d love to hear from you. If you are interested in having your recipes/tips published, just indicate at the end of your entry that publication is welcome.

To get things started, I’ll share my family’s all-time favorite no-cook dish. We call it “Orange Stuff” — it is a gelatin and fruit dish with whipped topping and cottage cheese, and occasionally pecans and flaked coconut.

I imagine it can be easily modified into “Strawberry; Cherry; Lemon-Lime; Blueberry” or any other such “Stuff.” Using sugar- and fat-free ingredients makes it on the low calorie side, but doesn’t change the taste, which is both rich and refreshing.

I’d like to hear who has other no-cook recipes we can enjoy during the remaining days of summer.

Teresa’s Orange Stuff 4-serving size box of sugar-free orange flavored gelatin 8-ounce tub sugar-free whipped topping 16-ounce carton fat-free cottage cheese 1, 20-ounce can of crushed pineapple, in its own juice, drained 2, 11-ounce cans mandarin oranges, drained 1 to 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans (optional) 1/2 to 1 cup flaked coconut (optional) Combine whipped topping and cottage cheese, stirring gently so topping holds, add gelatin crystals and stir again to combine well. Drain fruits and add to topping mixture (add pecans and/or coconut at this time as well). Stir to combine and chill for at least 30 minutes to set.

We recently had a potluck at the Roundup office and my Rim Review co-editor brought this fantastic no-cook dish:

Carol’s Berry Cream Cheese Pie 1 ready-made crumb crust (graham, chocolate, shortbread, etc.) 1 brick cream cheese, softened 1, 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk 1/4 cup or to taste lemon juice 1/2 cup berries of your choice Thoroughly combine the cream cheese with the milk, lemon juice and berries and pour into ready-made crumb crust. Chill until set.

Now we'd like to hear from you. If you have something similar to these dishes or totally different, so long as they are relatively "cooking free" please share them here.

Kelly Watts 8 years, 1 month ago

How about S.L.O.P. (some left over portions) Actually it is a casserole, that is quite tasty and easy to make.

requirements: 1/2 to 1 pound of ham (Turkey ham will do) 1 package of mixed veggies 1/2 bag of egg noodles 5 slices of American cheese
onion flakes (season to taste) 1 can cream of mushroom soup (cream of celery is
good as well)

Cook veggies and noodles together, drain when complete, Using a 12" or slightly larger pan, dice ham into 1/2" or so squares, place in pan with soup, add veggie noodles mix when drained, mix well,adding onion flakes, top with cheese slices, place in oven 300 degrees untill cheese melts. Serves 4 to 6 people, a delicious left over too!

Thomas Trottier 8 years, 1 month ago

Hi, Here is a favorite for your Holiday feasts, it goes very well with every roast beast, (the Who's really love it)!

Pineapple Stuffing 1 cup butter (softened) 1 cup sugar 4 eggs 1 20 oz can of crushed pineapple in juice 4-5 slices of bread cubed w/o the crusts Cinnamon

Cream the butter and sugar together. Mix in one egg and a time. Add the pineapple and mix well. Fold in the cubes of bread. Pour in a 1 ½ qt dish. Sprinkle top w/Cinnamon. Bake for 1 hour at 350º uncovered. Publicaton is welcome.

Lots of people I talk to are scared of smoking their Holiday bird, and of all the Holiday dishes I make this one has the most demand, therefore, I think it is the best one to post. One year I brought one to work for a Halloween party, and that year I had 30 requests for 30 turkeys before Thanksgiving alone. I like using fresh herbs they have more essential oils in them, and I have them growing right in my back yard.

1 Turkey 10-14 lbs 1 tbsp Fresh chopped Savory 1 tbsp Fresh chopped Sage 1 tbsp salt (optional) 1 tbsp Ground black pepper 1/8 cup Olive oil

Thaw completely, rinse, pat dry. Combine ingredients 2-5 and divide in half. Rub 1/2 of the mixture inside the turkey cavities. Rub the other half under the breast and leg skin. Rub the oil over the entire turkey.
 Using a Weber type grill prepare for indirect cooking method. Light 10 Kingsford, (or other high quality charcoals) on each side of the grill. Place a drip pan in the middle of the grill and add 1/2 cup water, this helps retain moisture. When the coals ash over add a 2" square chunk of hickory or other hard wood to each side of the grill right on top of the coals.
 Place the turkey on the cooking grate and maintain 150-250 degrees for 20 minutes per pound by adding 3-5 coals to each side at about 1.5 hour intervals. Add Hickory to maintain steady smoke stream from the vent. If flame occurs, and it may when you lift the lid, just drizzle a little beer or water on the flames. As you near the end of cooking time (for about the last hour), keep the temp at the high (250 degree) side of the heat range. If your turkey has a sensor on it, it may or may not pop up. I usually just check that the thick part of the thigh reaches 165 degrees.

Publication is welcome.

Tip:If you are ever in the Beaver Valley Estates and smell hickory and are hungry go upwind to the source it might be me and a turkey, or at very least rib bones.

Faye Musselman 8 years, 1 month ago

Phaye's Phaymous Meatloaf Recipe:

First buy one carton of Marie Callendar's meatloaf dinner. Follow microwave instructions. Serve immediately.

Brought to you by Phaye, who's cooking tagline is:

"If you Can't Nuke It, Eat Out"

nyuk, nyuk

Faye Musselman 8 years, 1 month ago

On a more serious note re Turkey stuffing....I always throw in two jars of oysters. I LOVE oyster stuffing! No kidding, it's really good.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.