Shed Was Set To Go, But Not Until The Weekend

Advertisement

A shed set for demolition in Star Valley this weekend went up in flames ahead of schedule Friday.

Fire officials think a discarded cigarette may have started the fire, which destroyed a wooden storage shed at the corner of Walters Lane and Garrels Drive.

"We would have gotten to the fire faster, but we'd issued a burning permit for the shed," Diamond Star Fire Chief Gary Hatch said. "We couldn't figure out why we were getting an (alarm) ... until we looked it up and found the permit had expired."

Nevertheless, Diamond Star firefighters, who are stationed just down the street on Walters Lane, were rolling out their hoses five minutes after they got the call at 1:22 Friday afternoon.

Heat from the fire caused paint and aerosol cans inside the shed to explode, bringing curious neighbors into the streets and prompting the 911 call to the fire department.

"I was doing a crossword puzzle when I heard this boom," said Barbara Parks, who lives near the shed. "I went out but didn't see anything. Then, about 15 minutes later, I saw smoke through my kitchen window."

Firefighters brought the fire under control in four minutes.

Nothing of value was in the shed and the shed was scheduled for demolition this weekend, so no monetary losses were assigned to the damage, Hatch said.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.