A long-time local fitness expert and a fledgling Payson High School runner sped their ways to victories in the Monsoon 5K Walk/Run held last Friday evening in Green Valley Park.
Monica Savage won the women's division of the run, covering the 3.1 mile course in 22 minutes. Savage was competing in the 30-39 year-old age group.
Jeremy Lee, a member of the Longhorn track and field squad, copped the men's championship with a clocking of 18:28. Lee was entered in the 13-19 years class.
In winning, Lee outdueled PHS teammate Wes Sprinkle, who was second in 21:03.
One of the most contested age groups was the 60-years-and-over, in which Tom Cooka, a past Senior Olympics National qualifier, edged past veteran Arlen Draper. Cooka finished in 23:16, and Draper in 24:58. Third in the age group was Wayne Doomay in 32:11.
The closeness of the races among the 60-year-plus and other age groups "made it fun for the spectators," said Town Recreation Coordinator Beth Kreider.
Also highlighting the event was the lack of rain. During many previous Monsoon runs, the skies have opened and unleashed downpours on the field of runners.
Not so this year -- the skies were clear."Fantastic, no rain," Kreider said.
A total of 53 participants competed in this year's run/walk.
Next up for local runners and walkers will be the town-sponsored Turkey Trot, to be held on Nov. 20.
Other results from the Monsoon run
• 12 & under Run: Tyler Savage, 28:48
• 13-19 Run: Jeremy Lee, 18:38; Wesley Sprinkle, 21:03; Aaron Pennell, 23:54; Stephanie Ray, 23:49; Brandi McSpadder, 25:34; Sara Siveron, 33:13
• 20-29 Run: Linda Huffman, 28:38; Daniele Yocum, 30:49; Amber Felix, 32:02
• 30-39 Run: Robert Habersmith, 22:53; Cory Thomas, 24:00; Tracy Purtee, 27:20; Monica Savage, 22:00; Abby Kendall, 22:39; Shelley Jamison, 25:06
• 40-49 Run: Tandy Howard, 22:56; John Ross, 24:42, Mark McCann, 35:55; Laura Richardson, 34:16
• 50-59 Run: Jim Spencer, 25:18; Bob Galloway, 33:33
• 40-49 Walk: Candice Conte, 40:21; Elsie Howard, 41:10
• 50-59 Walk: Harvey Ritter, 40:55; Ruthellen Mason, 39:46; Lynn Shalaby, 40:10; Lynn Gracy, 42:38