The trial of a 28-year-old Mesa del Caballo man, accused of molesting young girls in his neighborhood, has been put on the back burner, while a new defense attorney brushes up on his client's case.
Investigators say they've identified five possible victims, ranging in age from 13 to 17 years old.
According to court documents, the alleged molestations took place during the summers of 1995 and 1998, and January of this year.
Three of the five girls who claim to have been abused by the defendant are involved in the case against the suspect, Deputy County Attorney Patti Wortman said.
The defendant, who was initially charged with four counts of child molestation and one count of sexual abuse, signed a plea agreement this summer and was scheduled for sentencing in July.
In the agreement, he pleaded guilty to one count of child molestation and one count of sexual abuse.
Since then, his case has been continued several times, the last time in September pending the outcome of his psychiatric evaluation.
Wortman said Friday that there's been another delay.
"He's been appointed a new attorney," she said. "The trial has been vacated to allow the new attorney to get a feel for the case."
As of press time, a new court date had not been set.
Editors note: The Roundup maintains its policy not to divulge the name of a suspect involved in a sex crime unless the person is convicted and sentenced.