Firefighters Save Home On West Cherry Street

Advertisement

Fire Marshal Jack Babb said he believes it was a lit candle left unattended that caused the fire at the home of Bob and Brenda Trask on West Cherry Street Wednesday. By the time the Trasks returned home that evening, firefighters said they believe the fire had been smoldering for several hours.


Babb said the Trasks left their home at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, and returned just before 9 p.m. that evening.


"They noticed the fire and immediately called 911," he said. "The fire had burned undetected for quite a while."


"Upon arrival, we found the home charred with smoke, due to a fire that had been smoldering for many hours," Fire Chief John Ross said.


Eighteen firefighters were able to fight the blaze from the interior and from underneath the three-bedroom manufactured house. Fire damage was confined mostly to the living room, Babb said, but heat and smoke damage spread throughout the house.


"The only unusual thing about this fire was that access was a bit of a problem," Babb said.


"Because of the very narrow street and driveways, we couldn't get our engine around the corner."


Instead, Babb said, crews had to run additional hose from the truck to the house.


The fire was extinguished and crews cleared the scene by 11:30 p.m.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.