As a student at Rim Country Middle School I am doing research on the importance of recycling for a science and social studies project. I am happy Payson has recycling available now. I thought the people of Payson might be interested in some of the facts I uncovered in my research.
1. People create enough garbage everyday to fill the New Orleans Superdome twice. Half of the garbage is waste paper.
2. An average American currently uses enough paper each year to stack a pile as tall as a two-story house.
3. It takes a forest of 500,000 trees to produce Sunday's newspapers each week for readers across the U.S.
4. Americans receive almost 4 million tons of junk mail a year, 44 percent of it is never opened.
5. And the most important fact is by recycling one ton of paper, you save 17 trees, 6453 gallons of water, 463 gallons of oil, 587 pounds of pollution, 3.06 cubic yards of landfill space, and 4077 kilowatt of energy.
Now the people of Payson have a chance to help our environment by recycling.
Sage Gabel, Eighth-grader, Rim Country Middle School