by Myndi Brogdon
Another grand group of volunteers that I overlooked in my all organizations column was the Pine-Strawberry Medical Center Auxiliary. The medical center is community owned and its support group meets at 10 a.m. the second Monday of the month in the Kiwanis building at the community center in Pine. Each month, a guest speaker is invited and health is the key issue. This also is the group that sponsors the annual walk-a-thon in Pine to raise funds for our medical center.

Possible rate increase

The Arizona Corporation Commission is holding a meeting at 6 p.m. Monday to hear our concerns about water. The Pine-Strawberry Improvement Association asked for the meeting, which will be held in the cultural hall at the community center, to discuss a future rate hearing for Brooke Utilities. Everyone is welcome to attend.

No parking

It was brought to my attention that there is a new no parking sign in front of the Pine Museum.

The zone was created because it was difficult for drivers to see the highway when they turned out of the drive between Nifty Fifties and the museum. This is a busy drive during the school year because most of the cars and buses must exit on the drive.

If you have not seen the signs, look for them. You can get a ticket and a fine for parking there.

Two great stories

The following two stories, which are circulating the Internet, were forwarded to me from local veteran Jack Sheahan of Payson.

Part I

World War II produced many heroes. One such man was Butch O'Hare. He was a fighter pilot assigned to an aircraft carrier in the South Pacific.

One day, his entire squadron was sent on a mission. After he was airborne, he looked at his fuel gauge and realized that someone had forgotten to top off his fuel tank. He would not have enough fuel to complete his mission and get back to his ship.

His flight leader told him to return to the carrier. Reluctantly he dropped out of formation and headed back to the fleet.

As he was returning to the mothership, he saw something that turned his blood cold. A squadron of Japanese Zeroes was speeding its way toward the American fleet.

The American fighters were gone on a sortie and the fleet was all but defenseless. He couldn't reach his squadron and bring them back in time to save the fleet. Nor, could he warn the fleet of the approaching danger. There was only one thing to do -- somehow divert them from the fleet.

Laying aside all thoughts of personal safety, he dove into the formation of Japanese planes. Wing-mounted 50 calibers blazed as he charged in, attacking one surprised enemy plane and then another.

Butch wove in and out of the now broken formation and fired at as many planes as possible until finally all his ammunition was spent.

Undaunted, he continued the assault.

He dove at the Zeroes, trying to at least clip off a wing or tail, in hopes of damaging as many enemy planes as possible and rendering them unfit to fly. He was desperate to do anything he could to keep them from reaching the American ships. Finally, the exasperated Japanese squadron took off in another direction. Deeply relieved, Butch O'Hare and his tattered fighter limped back to the carrier.

Upon arrival, he reported in and related the event surrounding his return. The film from the camera mounted on his plane told the tale. It showed the extent of Butch's daring attempt to protect his fleet.

He was recognized as a hero and given one of the nation's highest military honors. And today, O'Hare Airport in Chicago is named in tribute to the courage of this great man.

Part II

Some years earlier, there was a man in Chicago called Easy Eddie. At that time, Al Capone virtually owned the city. Capone wasn't famous for anything heroic. His exploits were anything but praiseworthy. He was, however, notorious for enmeshing the city of Chicago in everything from bootlegged booze and prostitution to murder.

Easy Eddie was Capone's lawyer and for a good reason. He was very good. In fact, his skill at legal maneuvering kept Big Al out of jail for a long time. To show his appreciation, Capone paid him very well.

Not only was the money big, Eddie got special dividends. For instance, he and his family occupied a fenced-in mansion with live-in help and all of the conveniences of the day. The estate was so large that it filled an entire Chicago city block.

Yes, Eddie lived the high life of the Chicago mob and gave little consideration to the atrocity that went on around him. Eddy did have one soft spot, however. He had a son that he loved dearly.

Eddy saw to it that his young son had the best of everything -- clothes, cars and a good education. Nothing was withheld. Price was no object. And, despite his involvement with organized crime, Eddie even tried to teach him right from wrong.

Eddie tried to teach his son to rise above his own sordid life. He wanted him to be a better man than he was. Yet, with all his wealth and influence, there were two things that Eddie couldn't give his son. Two things that Eddie sacrificed to the Capone mob that he could not pass on to his beloved son -- a good name and a good example.

One day, Easy Eddie reached a difficult decision. Offering his son a good name was far more important than all the riches he could lavish on him. He had to rectify all the wrong that he had done. He would go to the authorities and tell the truth about Scar-face Al Capone. He would try to clean up his tarnished name and offer his son some semblance of integrity. To do this, he must testify against the mob, and he knew that the cost would be great. But more than anything, he wanted to be an example to his son.

He wanted to do his best to make restitution and hopefully have a good name to leave his son. So, he testified. Within the year, Easy Eddie's life ended in a blaze of gunfire on a lonely Chicago street. He had given his son the greatest gift he had to offer at the greatest price he would ever pay. I know what you're thinking. What do these two stories have to do with one another? Butch O'Hare was Easy Eddie's son.

How to reach me

Anyone who has a personal story, bit of unusual news, notice of an upcoming event, information about a noteworthy accomplishment or a funny story to tell can call me at 476-2500 or e-mail me at

Thanks for reading.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.