Bashas' Evacuated

Advertisement

About 40 customers were evacuated from Bashas' Friday at 9:40 a.m. when smoke was seen coming from the southwest corner of the exterior roof.

Within an hour, firefighters from the Payson Fire Department determined the cause of the smoke was a faulty pizza oven, and reopened the store.

"... We investigated the roof, attic and inside the store," Fire Chief John Ross said.

Battalion chief Marti deMasi said the problem was found to be isolated to the pizza oven area, inside the store's delicatessen.

"We found that the exhaust fan was not functioning properly," Ross said, "and several circuit breakers were tripped."

With the problem isolated, the store was allowed to reopen, but the pizza operation will remain closed until technicians can inspect the oven and electrical system.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.