Faulty Wiring Suspected Source Of Payson House Fire

Advertisement

As Cecil and Mildred Neal sat inside their home, their son, Arlan, went outside to have a cigarette. That's when Arlan noticed smoke billowing from the attic vents of his parents home.

Soon after, Payson firefighters responded to the late evening house fire in Payson Ranchos Thursday.

The first-alarm fire was reported just after 9 p.m. when the homeowners on West Arabian Way discovered the smoke.

Upon their arrival, the firefighters found smoke coming from the eaves of the manufactured home and promptly evacuated one of the elderly residents of the house. The utilities in the area were turned off and more than 20 firefighters began to investigate the area, both inside the home and on the roof, to determine the source of the smoke.

The source of that smoke was determined to be located in the space between the roof and the ceiling. Firefighters were able to cut a small hole in the roof and extinguish the smoldering fire. The initial investigation indicates that the probable cause was an electrical short in the wires leading to the swamp cooler.

Once the fire was put out, firefighters cleaned the debris out of the home, tacked a plastic sheet over the hole in the roof, and after isolating the electrical circuits, turned the power back on. The residents were able to return to their home for the night. No damage estimates were available at the time this paper went to press.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.