Q: Many of us up here in the Rim country are on Medicare, and we would like to know if the new ambulance service is going to honor Medicare. The previous company did not.

A: Charlie Smith, owner of LifeStar LLC the company that purchased Canyon State Ambulance effective Sept. 17 said he has applied to Medicare. Approval should be forthcoming in 45 to 90 days. But Medicare will not pick up the entire tab.

"Under new Medicare guidelines, there is a certain fee for ambulances, for physicians, and so on," Smith said. "They have 'disallowables,' so there will always be a small balance. Medicare never has and never will pay the full bill."

Nevertheless, Smith said people in rural areas get more than those who live in urban areas. While he's waiting to get his provider number from Medicare, Smith is holding off on sending out bills.

"We have up to six months to submit bills," he said.

Q: There's a policeman who lives across from the tennis courts in Rumsey Park on public park property. He has a German shepherd dog who barks each time somebody walks by with a dog or at tennis players. This is very disruptive and a nuisance. Tennis players cannot hear scores being counted to each other and we are not able to concentrate. Payson has a public nuisance/animal ordinance which Lt. Don Engler said in the Sept. 11 "What's Up" column applies to "any animal that makes disturbing noises." This policeman should be setting an example, yet I've never seen anyone trying to quiet it, even when they're home. This is a problem all over town. Are the police going to enforce this ordinance, or does it not apply to everyone?"

A: "We have two officers who live in Rumsey Park," Engler said. "It's a tradeoff for the security they can provide."

But, he added, no police officer is above the law. "If one of these officers' animals is causing a nuisance, we'd like to have it reported. I checked, and so far we have no complaints."

To clear up future misunderstandings, Engler explained how the ordinance works. "It usually begins when we receive a complaint, usually barking," he said. "We normally respond and conduct an investigation, but there has to be at least one written warning to the owner before we can issue a citation.

"If we determine there is a problem, we will then issue a written warning. If the problem persists, we step up the investigation. But we need witnesses who are willing to come to court and testify for us to successfully prosecute."

Engler said people also need to understand that "these kinds of matters are not a real high priority for us, and that our animal control officer has been off work on disability."

Commenting has been disabled for this item.