Fire Caused By Extension Cord, Fire Marshal Says

Advertisement

An extension cord used to power a television and VCR is being blamed for starting a fire in the home of Dan and Jackie Scott in the 2500 block of West Bulla Friday night, Feb. 1.

According to a report released by the Payson Fire Department, the Scotts' neighbors called to report the fire at 6:17 p.m.

Firefighters arrived on scene to find the home 25 to 50 percent involved in fire.

Diamond Star Fire Department assisted Payson, and with 28 firefighters on scene, the blaze was extinguished within 20 minutes.

"The firefighters attacked the fire with hand lines and quickly knocked the fire down, using approximately 200 gallons of water," Fire Marshal Jack Babb said.

The fire was contained to the living room and kitchen. The remainder of the 1,200-square-foot home had extensive heat and smoke damage. The loss is estimated at $10,000, Babb said, which includes damage to the structure and personal property.

Firefighters were able to remove some personal effects for the family that were not destroyed by the fire.

The Scotts were out walking their dogs when the fire erupted. The fire was not without a casualty; one of the Scott's three cats, a kitten, died in the fire.

The American Red Cross was contacted to aid the Scotts with temporary lodging and assistance.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.