The Payson Area Habitat for Humanity group is looking for applicants.
“Applicants have nothing to lose. We change peoples’ lives. Unfortunately, we can’t change that many a year, but those we do change, we change significantly. We give people a hand up instead of a hand out in that they are an integral part of the building process,” said Allan Gillingham, chairman of the PAHH family selection committee.
Orientation is Monday, Dec. 2 at 7 p.m. and Saturday, Dec. 7 at 10 a.m. Both are scheduled at St. Philip’s Catholic Church, in parish center. The application period opens Sunday, Dec. 1 and closes at midnight, Wednesday, Jan. 15.
To qualify for a Habitat house, an applicant must:
- Have a housing need, present housing must be inadequate.
- Have lived in the Payson area for the last 12 months.
- Have a steady income that meets certain qualifications based on family size;
- Have a good credit rating and the ability to make regular monthly, no-interest mortgage payments.
- Grant permission for a home visit by Family Selection Committee members.
- Be willing to volunteer between 300 and 500 hours of “sweat equity,” both in building your home and others and in performing other PAHH work.
- Be able to pay closing costs of $1,300 when the house is transferred.
PAHH works with low- to moderate-income families who are living in inadequate or substandard conditions. These conditions may be caused by: overcrowding; the deteriorated physical condition of the dwelling; or some other factor that constitutes “inadequate or substandard” living conditions.
The applicant’s income is too low to enable securing conventional financing from a bank or other traditional lending institution, but sufficient to make the monthly payments required on the no-profit, no-interest PAHH mortgage.
The PAHH group purchases the building site, plans the house design with the family’s needs in mind and works with community businesses to obtain building materials. Volunteers and the family then work together to build a new house.
For more information, call (928) 474-0330.