Local Historians Knew It All



Sarah Jones and Biddie Holder came by the museum to increase our knowledge about the article that I wrote on Julian Journigan and the Mogollon Grille building at 202 W. Main Street in Payson.

I had left out the fact the Ed and Leona Fuel lived in that house. That prompted me to look up more about the Fuel family. I had known from others that the Fuels were active in the social life of Main Street folk for some years.

Ed Fuel sold a ranch in Scotts Bluff, Neb. in 1923 and moved to Payson, according to his obituary. It reads further, "He drove the mail and a passenger stage from Globe to Jerome for 18 months."

This said to me that he must have had a close tie with Julian Journigan for it was in that same year Journigan began driving his Cadillac stage on the same route. Fuel apparently landed a job as one of Journigan's sub-contractors.

After that initial job, Ed Fuel worked for the Forest Service as an assistant ranger.

According to Forest Service records Fuel served on the Payson District under the following District Rangers: Fred Croxen, Robert Stewart and John Nelson. Then from December 1936 to March 1937 he was in charge since no supervising ranger was assigned. After that, he continued as assistant to Clyde Moose, Stanton Wallace, Jesse Fears and Cleo Anderson.

In 1953 Ed Fuel retired. He and Leona moved to Phoenix to be closer to family members. Ed died Jan. 22, 1963 in Phoenix.

When I talked to Sarah Jones she went on to say that after the Fuels left, the 202 W. Main house was occupied by the Caddenheads. I found some information about Edgar and Ruby Caddenhead. He had been a truck driver and also worked for the Kaibab Lumber company. He died April 17, 1994 and is buried in the Payson Pioneer Cemetery.

It was in 1985 that the house was purchased by Mel and Jan Laumb. They added about 4,700 square feet to the original small house and turned it into a gift shop and restaurant called The Heritage House.

Mrs. Jones also corrected an error she and her sister found in the preliminary issue of the Main Street Walking Tour. The Pioneer Bar had been erected at the northwest corner of the Old Globe Road (McLane) and Main Street after the Stadlman's Payson Lodge burned down. The Walking Tour booklet erroneously stated that Grady and Nellie Harrison had owned the Pioneer Bar, which was a popular gathering place for local residents and ranchers. Rather, Ogden Holder and his wife Elizabeth owned it. Ogden was an uncle to Sarah Jones. When it burned down in 1953 or 1954, Ogden and his son built a second Pioneer Bar on the Beeline Highway. They owned that until 1965 when it was sold.

Ogden Holder was born in 1891 of that well-known pioneer family John and Sarah Holder. They settled the East Verde River with other family members and a large herd of Angora goats, all the way from Beaver Valley to the East Verde crossing. Ogden died on June 23, 1965.

Sarah Jones and Biddie Holder, the ladies who shared the information are the daughters of Ogden Holder's brother Thomas Watt and Lillie Holder. Many of the Holder family are buried in the Payson Pioneer Cemetery.

In another phone call I learned from Barbara Ashby of Gisela some items that need correcting in my article about the killing of two sheepherders by the Booth brothers.

After Zechariah Booth was hanged, he was buried outside the fence of the Globe Cemetery, not in Phoenix.

The Zechariah Booth buried in Phoenix was his nephew, and the memorial headstone in the Gisela Cemetery is for this nephew.

When Wiley Berry's body was retrieved by his father, it was reinterred at Thatcher. There the Berrys had a home while their herds of sheep wintered in the Safford Valley.

I always appreciate those who contact me to add information to these articles or to correct misinformation.

My information comes from public records, such as school and census records, the Great Register, cemetery records, copies of inquests and trials, oral and family histories, scrapbooks and collections of papers, and conversations with local persons.

One family may have a version of an event that differs from the same story told by another family.

Here is a small illustration. Barbara Ashby told me that her grandfather, Duke Hale, was on the jury for the coroner's inquest for the murders of the sheep herders. This is confusing to me because I have the handwritten transcripts of the inquest, the indictment proceedings and the trial (from the State Library and Archives in Phoenix). The report of the jury at the inquest, dated Dec. 24, 1903 at Gisela, is signed by Alfred Haught, Marshall Brown, Sam Stewart, Carrel Wilbanks, Albert Cavaness, A. C. Bull, and the coroner, J. O. Hill. Hale's name does not appear there or on any of the documents relating to the murders.

Barbara Ashby's uncle Curtis Neal did testify to the grand jury on Dec. 31 that he saw John Booth pass by "our place" the morning of the murder. Neal was 19 years old.

So it is that sometimes the stories we print have misinformation or variations as recalled by our sources. My job is to try as accurately as possible to document the facts of each case for future students. It is good when people who have more accurate or additional facts to share call or write to me. My thanks to them.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.