Five Cats Die In Trailer Fire

Advertisement

A short in electrical wiring is the cause of a fire that engulfed a travel trailer at Kachina Mobile Home Park, Tuesday afternoon. Although no humans were injured, five cats were killed in the fire, said Fire Marshal Jack Babb.

The Payson and Diamond Star fire departments were dispatched at approximately 11:00 a.m. to South Goodfellow Road, where a travel trailer was ablaze.

photo

Firefighters use a 12-foot pike pole to remove vent covers from a travel trailer destroyed by fire Tuesday. Five cats were killed in the blaze authorities believe was caused by a short in the electrical wiring. The trailer was being rented out as a home in the Kachina Mobile Home Park.

"The fire was extinguished relatively quick," Babb said. "it occurred within the travel trailer, which was being rented out as a home. The occupant was not home at the time. Firefighters did report that they found five cats did perish because of the fire."

Babb said an investigation was done shortly after the fire was extinguished.

"Our findings were that the probable cause was an electrical short in the main wiring against the metal skin of the trailer," Babb said.

According the Babb, everything in the home was damaged.

"Estimated damage is $6500," he said.

"It's a good time to remind everyone that an operating smoke detector can alert occupants and sometimes even neighbors that something is going on," Babb said.

"Smoke detectors save lives."

Commenting has been disabled for this item.