Murder In Beaver Valley

Two dead in home invasion


Two people in Beaver Valley are dead following a home invasion.

Annie Friesen, 73, and an unidentified male were killed at the Friesen home on Buckskin Road Monday.

"Ann and Ray were just the sweetest people," said Bing Brown, a neighbor. "They would do what they could to help the community."

Sometime after 2 p.m., Monday, a man, said to be young to middle-aged by the Gila County Sheriff's Office, and believed to be a transient, asked to use the phone at the residence.

The homeowner, Ray Friesen brought him a cordless phone, according to the GCSO report.

The suspect allegedly made a call and talked to someone on the phone, then returned it to Friesen. As he returned the phone, the suspect allegedly pulled a hunting knife and forced Friesen into the dining room and tied him to a chair. The suspect demanded the man's wallet, credit cards and keys to his vehicle. Friesen complied with all the demands.

The intruder then allegedly went to the bedroom where Friesen's wife, Annie was resting. According to the GCSO report, Friesen heard his wife scream, and struggled with the bindings and freed himself and found his gun.

His wife screamed again and as he entered the bedroom, he saw his wife bleeding and the suspect standing over her with the knife in his hand, according to the report.

Friesen allegedly shot the suspect several times.

Friesen called 911 at 2:50 p.m., according to the GCSO report. When medical personnel arrived, both Annie Friesen and the suspect were pronounced dead.

The suspect has been tentatively identified, but until positive identification is made, and next of kin notified, the name will not be released.

Friesen is 79. He and his wife were married for 53 years and resided in Beaver Valley for the past 13 years.

"Ray was holding up, considering everything," said Mark Essary, chief of the Whispering Pines Volunteer Fire Department. "He has family (to stay with) in Tonto Basin and the Phoenix area."

Essary was on the scene early and talked to Friesen.

The GCSO is continuing its investigation.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.