The following information recently came to my attention:
In 1787, a Scottish history professor, Alexander Tyler, had this to say about "The fall of the Athenian Republic."
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse (generous gifts) from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that the democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy -- which is always followed by a dictatorship. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to great courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependence, from dependence back into bondage."
Professor Joseph Olson, from Hameline University School of Law, recently compiled this information about the 2000 election:
• Population of counties won by Al Gore, 127 million; by George Bush, 143 million.
• Square miles of country won by Gore, 580,000; by Bush 2,427,000.
• States won by Gore, 19; by Bush - 29.
• Murder per 100,000 residents in counties won by Gore, 13.2; by Bush 2.1 (not a typo)
• The map of the territory won by Bush was mostly land owned by the people of this great country. Gore was supported by citizens living in cities in tenements owned by the government and living off the government.
Professor Olson thinks the U.S. is now between the apathy and complacency phase of democracy, but that 40 percent of the nation's population has already reached the dependency phase.
Don Castleman, Chairman, Gila County Republican Committee