What's Up?


Q: I thought the article on the stolen flag was a very good reminder that we all need to be respectful of our country's flag. There are many of us that would like to know who to call if we have a tattered flag that needs to be retired. Is there a group in town that does this as a service?

A: Yes. Residents can take tattered U.S. flags to the American Legion Tonto Rim Post 69 at 709 E. Highway 260. "We'll be happy to accept flags ready for retirement," said Kathy Alston, manager of the American Legion. "We'll hold a ceremony for the flags as soon as we can. We try to retire collected flags on Flag Day, which is June 14, but due to fire restrictions, we may perform the retirements on another date." For more information, call Alston at (928) 474-6969.

The local Boy Scouts also hold flag retirement ceremonies as part of their "Citizenship In the Nation" merit badge requirements. To submit a flag to the Boy Scouts, call Zane Grey District Chairman, Mac Feezor at (928) 472-2449.

Call 474-5251, ext. 147, to reach Roundup's What's Up? line. Leave your question on the answering machine and we'll try to find the answer.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.