Man Gets Five Years In Hammer Beating


Jamison Davis will spend five years in jail for his role in the June 2002 beating of a Payson teen.

Superior Court Judge Peter Cahill sentenced Davis Monday on the charge of second-degree burglary, giving him credit for the 602 days he has already served.


Jamison Davis

"This is the third sentencing I have done arising out of this unfortunate night," Cahill said. "I am, again, reminded of how so many lives went different ways because of that one night."

On the night Cahill referred to, Davis, Waylon and Garrett Quotskuyva went to a home at Oxbow Estates where they had been ejected from a party earlier that evening.

Evidence showed that Waylon beat two men with the hammer while the two others held him down, according to Gila County Attorney Daisy Flores.

One victim suffered severe head injuries which he has since recovered from, but can no longer play football -- a sport he had hoped would earn him a scholarship.

Garrett Quotskuyva was sentenced to five years of intense probation for his role. Months later, he violated parole and is now considered a fugitive.

Waylon Quotskuyva was sentenced to five years in the department of corrections for aggravated assault.

Of the three defendants, Davis was the only one who chose to go to trial. In March, a jury found him not guilty of attempted second-degree murder and guilty of second-degree burglary.

According to Gila County Attorney Daisy Flores, Davis said in his testimony that contrary to reports that he held the victims down, he was trying to pull Waylon off and stop the beating.

Before announcing the sentence, Davis' aunt and grandmother spoke on his behalf about his family history as well as contributions he has made to his community.

"His mother abandoned him when he was little and I raised him," Davis' grandmother told Cahill. "He helped take the high school to two football championships -- he has helped people. Sometimes we need to make mistakes in order to learn."

Davis' defense attorney told the judge that his client just "got caught up in somebody else's behavior" and did not go to the party to hurt anyone.

Davis told Cahill that he was "protecting his family and didn't mean for anything bad to happen."

Both Cahill and Flores said Davis was fortunate to receive only five years, since there were aggravating factors. Those factors included the fact that he was on probation when he committed the offense, he had previous convictions for possession of drug paraphernalia and a burglary conviction through the tribal court. Davis also has a case pending for charges of aggravated assault with intent to incite a riot while in prison.

Cahill's reason for not giving Davis the maximum sentence of 6.5 years was, in part, due to tremendous tribal and family support, his age, and the fact that Waylon Quotskuyva, who actually beat the victim with the hammer, was sentenced to five years.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.