Co Detector Saved Our Lives

Advertisement

Editor:

We would like to express our thanks to the Payson Firemen who helped save our lives.

We were awakened at 12:30 a.m. by a beeping sound in our house. As we checked around we discovered that it was our carbon monoxide detector. At first, we thought it might be defective but it continued to beep every minute or two. We called 911 and told them the situation and they came immediately. Their detector showed that our house was filled with carbon monoxide and instructed us to leave, which we did.

They said that had not the detector gone off, we might have kept sleeping and never awakened.

We discovered the next day that three members of our family in Colorado had the same thing happen to them on the same night, only they had no detector. They were found the next morning unconscious and had to be taken to the hospital and put in the hyperbaric chamber there. Fortunately, they recovered with no residual effects.

Not only do we thank the quick action of the fire department, but we would caution everyone to be aware that such a problem could exist for them during this heating season.

Byron and Ruth Petersen, Payson

Commenting has been disabled for this item.