As Leon and Amanda Howard left to go on a camping trip at 2 a.m. Thursday, their 1976 motor home caught fire and was fully engulfed in flames in the middle of Easy Street in Payson.
Payson police said the occupants were able to escape unharmed, but one of their kittens was killed in the fire.
"The neighbors were hosing down their trees," Police Sgt. Rod Mamero said. "They were worried about their homes catching on fire."
According to Police Officer Mike Varga, one witness saw the couple's dog attempting to carry the cat out of the burning vehicle, but the cat struggled free and ran back inside.
Amanda Howard's mother, Carla Brown, told the Roundup that their dog did carry one kitten to safety, but couldn't save the other.
Fire Chief Marty deMasi said firefighters had the blaze under control within seven minutes.
"We don't know the cause of the fire," deMasi said. "It's undetermined at this point. But the fire is still under investigation."
"Mandy and Leon are expecting their first baby," Brown said. "They were planning on living in the motor home to save money. What little they had was in that motor home. I'm just thankful to God that this didn't hurt my daughter, son-in law, or anyone else."
See related letter to the editor