On Jan. 2, 2004, I filed my campaign committee papers, as a Democratic candidate, to seek a second term as your Gila County Sheriff.
Promises are easy to make but more difficult to keep. I have kept the promises that I made to the citizens of Gila County four years ago, specifically:
- To be a responsive sheriff to all of Gila County -- providing equitable services to all citizens
- To place emphasis on drug enforcement
- To increase emphasis on volunteers
- To provide programs that develop our youth
- To develop crime prevention programs
- To be more responsive to the public and the news media
- To provide continuing professional training
- To hire and competitively promote experienced, qualified staff
- To be fiscally responsible and place emphasis on acquiring more grants
- To develop a more professional detention facility
- To improve benefits for employees
- To provide better equipment for sheriff's employees
What all of the above means to the citizens of Gila County is that, during my tenure as sheriff, with the help of the Gila County Sheriff's Office employees, citizens' safety and security have been significantly improved.
As a third generation native, I have a personal and professional commitment to Gila County where I was born, raised, live and work. I am a graduate of the University of Arizona with a B.A in Public Administration, Northwestern University Traffic Institute year-long course in law enforcement. I was Globe Police Chief for more than five years prior to being elected Sheriff in 2001. I sit as a member of the Rules Revision Committee for the Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board.
We are living in a time of great threat and challenge to our safety and quality of life. I pledge to all of the citizens of Gila County to use all of my skills and efforts to continue making improvements in the Gila County Sheriff's Office in order to make Gila County a safer and better place to live, work and raise a family. I sincerely ask for your vote in the upcoming election. To contact me outside the sheriff's office, my address is 425 E. Oak Street, Globe, AZ 85501. My home phone number is 928-402-9301.