The Christmas Angels Auction has aided families in the Pine and Strawberry areas for the past four years.
"Everyone needs to come, it's lots of fun," said Sharon Allen, who has coordinated the auction and angel project since its inception with her husband, Frank.
According to Allen, money from past auctions has been used to:
- Provide heat for an elderly couple;
- Repair a single, working mother's car;
- Purchase warm clothes for youngsters at the Pine school;
- Pay tuition for several preschool students;
- Give money to grandparents who are raising their grandchildren;
- Fund the Pine/Strawberry Food Bank.
This year, the program will be expanded with the opening of a year-round, fund-raising effort, a retail store called Sweet Charity, "the Heart of Pine/Strawberry." This specialty boutique will be stocked with unique gifts and decorating items. Residents and visitors are invited to drop in for a cup of coffee and conversation.
Volunteers and contributions are needed to help with the benefit. Tax-deductible donations will offset the boutique's operating expenses such as rent, utilities and stocking inventory.
The main event, the fifth annual Pine/Strawberry Christmas Angels Auction and Benefit is at 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 4 in the parking lot of the ERA Young Realty Office, 3844 N. Highway 87, Pine. At 6:30 p.m. the silent auction starts, followed by a live auction at 7:30 p.m.
The boutique and auction are coordinated by the Allens with the help of many volunteers. For more information, call them at (928) 476-3433.
Holiday Happenings for your Christmas Calendar
- Dec. 2, 7 p.m. - Payson Elementary School Holiday Concert at Payson High School Auditorium, no admission
- Dec. 3, 6 p.m. - Pine Community Christmas Party and Christmas Tree Auction, Pine Community Center Cultural Hall
- ec. 4 and 5, 10 a.m. - Payson Main Street Craft Fair in the parking lot between the Main Street office and Rim Country Museum in Green Valley Park
- Dec. 4, 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. - Tamales for Toys, Payson Elks Lodge
- Dec. 4, 3:30 p.m. - Payson Community Christmas Party with Santa, Julia Randall Elementary School
- Dec. 4, 6 p.m. - Main Street/APS Electric Light Parade and Town Tree Lighting. Starts near Sawmill Crossing and goes west to Green Valley Park
- Dec. 4, 6:30 p.m. - Pine/Strawberry Christmas Angels Auction and Benefit, in the rear parking lot of the ERA Young Realty Office, Pine
- Dec. 5, 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. - Payson Christian Ministerial Fellowship's Christmas program, "Spirit of Christmas" at Payson High School Auditorium. Donations accepted.
- Dec. 8, 7 p.m. - Gila Community College Student Recital, Room 301, GCC, 202 N. Mud Springs Road, Payson
- Dec. 10, 6:30 p.m. - Holiday Piano and Poetry, Gila Community College, Room 301, 202 N. Mud Springs Road, Payson. Donations accepted.
- Dec. 12, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. - Star Valley Community Christmas Party with gifts for children, ages 12 and younger, hosted by the Loyal Order of Moose at the Greater Payson Area Moose Lodge, 255903 E. Highway 260, Star Valley
- Dec. 16, 3 p.m. - Payson Children's Choir presents "A Candle for Peace," Room 301 Gila Community College, 202 N. Mud Springs Road, Payson. Admission is $3 per person or $10 per family
- Dec. 18, 2:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. - Payson Choral Society presents "Sounds of Christmas" at Payson High School Auditorium. Admission is $8 for adults and $3 for students, 12 to 18 years.
(Editor's note - If your community holiday program has been missed, we apologize. Send the information to email@example.com or drop a notice at the Roundup office, 708 N. Beeline Highway, Payson, to be included in future listings.)