Residents Escape Fire Unharmed

Advertisement

A home in the 400-block of South Ash Street caught on fire Tuesday morning when a pipe from a pellet stove came detached, Payson Fire Chief Marty deMasi said. The occupants escaped unharmed.

The Payson and Diamond Star Fire Departments responded when an employee of Energy West who was working in the area, called 911 around 10:50 a.m.

"He saw flames coming from the attic," deMasi said. "We were on-scene two minutes later and saw flames coming through a second-story window. The fire started in the chimney chase where a pipe had become disconnected. When they used the pellet stove, sparks and heat caught the chase on fire."

photo

Payson firefighters extinguished the fire at this home on South Ash Street Tuesday morning. Officials believe the fire started after a pipe came loose from a pellet stove.

The fire was extinguished by 11:07 a.m.

The home was occupied by the owner's granddaughter, Breeona Lowe and her newborn baby. The home was also the previous residence of former Payson Vice Mayor Elaine Drorbaugh.

Damage was primarily contained to the second floor, deMasi said, except for some water damage to the first floor.

Citing that the home had no smoke detectors, deMasi said he wants to remind the public that the Payson Fire Department provides free smoke detectors to residents who need them.

"They are vital," deMasi said. "If you don't have them, we can give you one."

For more information, call (928) 474-5242, ext. 3.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.