- For wood stoves or fireplaces, have a professional inspect the chimney and related equipment every year, and have it cleaned regularly.
- When burning wood, use properly seasoned wood. For information, see the Department of Energy Web site at www.eere.energy.gov/consumerinfo/factsheets/nb4.html
- Keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that can burn.
- Fuel portable kerosene heaters in a well-ventilated area and only when the device is cool. Use only the fuel specified by the manufacturer.
- When turning a heater on or off, follow the instructions. Choose devices with automatic shutoff features.
- Make sure any gas-fueled heater is adequately ventilated. Never use liquefied-petroleum gas heaters with self-contained fuel supplies in the home.
- Portable space heaters should be turned off every time you leave a room or go to bed.
- Allow ashes to cool before disposal. Dispose of ashes in a metal container.