Not only is there a dog for every person, but there is also a day for every dog -- and that day is Saturday, Oct. 22.
That's when Paws in the Park holds its annual Dog Day in the Park from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Payson Off-Leash Dog Park next to the library in Rumsey Park.
Dog Day is a gala day of canine celebration in honor of man's best friend, featuring a host of activities, events, and great doggy items for sale.
"We'll have a lot of vendors selling dog-related items like dog coats, collars and beds," said event organizer Donna Rokoff.
"Also the Paws Boutique will be in full force with lots of new colors of T-shirts and sweatshirts.
"We're also going to have a table set up by the people who are caring for the Hurricane Katrina dogs to answer people's questions about them and to encourage people to foster the dogs. They desperately need foster parents for the smaller dogs as the weather gets colder, because there is no place to keep them indoors up there."
Also on the agenda, according to Rokoff:
- Lots of doggy contests like silly pet tricks, a costume race, and more.
- A selection of Payson Humane Society dogs for adoption.
- A selection of homemade people and doggy treats plus free coffee offered by the boffo Barkery Bakery.
- Dave Engelman and his Wondrous Weenie Wagon.
- Microchipping, dog tags while you wait, and a test for AKC Canine Good Citizen certification will also be offered. Go to the AKC Web site to see the requirements.
And last, but far from least, bring your dogs on leashes. It's what Dog Day in the Park is all about.