Lady Longhorn hopes of attaining a season-long goal of a berth in the 3A state tournament hinge on whipping the Round Valley Elks.
The crucial clash between the two regional rivals will tip off at 10:45 a.m. Oct. 29 in Wilson dome.
The skirmish will be one of seven season-ending tournament games played that day. The results of the tournament will be used to seed the East teams into the state finals.
Whipping the Elks and advancing to state will be a challenge for the Lady Horns.
The two teams have met twice this season and split the showdowns.
In the first, Sept. 27 in Wilson dome, the Lady Horns dominated, winning 2-0.
The Lady Elks, however, rebounded Oct. 20 in the RVHS dome to win 2-1.
Coach Arnold Stonebrink predicts the key to beating Round Valley might be heady, all-around play.
"If we can minimize our service errors and play well consistently, we can win," he said.
Admission to the regional tournament is $5 per person.
Tournament games will be played Oct. 29 in the dome at:
- 9:30 a.m., No. 7 Alchesay vs. No. 6 Show Low
- 10:45 a.m., No. 4 Payson vs. No. 5 Round Valley
- Noon, Winner of 6 vs. 7 against No. 3 Holbrook
- 2:30 p.m., Winner of 4 vs. 5 against No. 1 Snowflake
- 3:45 p.m., Winner of 7, 6 and 3 against No. 2 Blue Ridge
- 5 p.m., Losers of third round games play for third and fourth.
- 6:15 p.m., The two undefeated teams play for the East championship.
The top four teams earn berths to the 3A state tournament that begins Nov. 4 at Glendale Arena and wraps up the following day.
The East state qualifiers are pitted in the first round against the South region. From each region, No. 1 plays No. 4 and No. 2 takes on No. 3.