What's Up?


Q: Are ATVs (all terrain vehicles) legal on highways and residential streets? If not, how does one report them?

A: If a 4-wheeler is road-worthy, i.e. inspected by the Department of Motor Vehicles, registration is completed and license plate issued, it can be legal on the roads and highways, according to Payson Police Commander Don Engler. The rider must follow requirements similar to those of a motorcyclist, like the ATV must have a windshield or the rider must have eye protection.

This is the brief answer; for full regulations, contact DMV.

To report an ATV that is not road-worthy, contact the Payson Police Department's non-emergency number at (928) 474-5177.

Q: Is there a parent teacher organization (PTO) at Payson Unified School District?

A: Contact the individual schools regarding becoming part of a PTO or starting one.

Julia Randall Elementary School has an active PTO. Frontier Elementary School did last year, but it has not yet started this year. Payson Elementary and Payson High schools do not have a PTO. Rim Country Middle School is having a parent volunteer organization.

Q: Are there any agencies that check on home-schooled students to see if they are actually being home-schooled and not neglected or abused?

A: Home-schooled students in Gila County, age 6 to 16, must be listed with the County School Superintendent's office. That office gets several calls each school year for "truant" home-school students.

"School resources officers are then sent to investigate," said Darrell Stubbs, school resource officer for Tonto Basin, Pine, Strawberry and Young. "Parents are responsible for their child's going to school and the parent and child can be cited for a child not attending school."

Call 474-5251, ext. 147, to reach Roundup's What's Up? line. Leave your question on the answering machine and we'll try to find the answer.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.