Flood At Senior Apartments Accidental


In December, there was a flood at Canal Apartments.

Rumors of a lawsuit against the town because of flooding at the new senior apartments on Main Street are unfounded, though the center section of first-floor apartments was indeed flooded.


A flood at the new Canal Apartments was caused when water was turned on again following work on the water lines. The accident resulted in delaying the occupation of some of the units, but now at least 11 of the apartments have tenants.

The building is plumbed for high-pressure water in the event of a fire.

According to Rick Croy, Community Action Program administrator, somehow the cap of the second floor's hose bit was left off or loose and the water valve was left partially open.

"The only thing we can figure out is that sometime around 3 p.m. Friday, Dec. 23, whoever was working on the water lines in the building -- and we have no confirmation on this, other than this is where the water came from -- (turned the water) off when they were working on them and then they left the building and turned the water back on ...."

No one was in the building to see the water begin leaking, he said.

According to Croy, it took about 15 hours to trigger a call to the fire department because no sprinklers were involved, just a saturation of water.

"We believe that once there was enough water it soaked down and shorted out a wire, triggering the fire department call at 5:30 a.m." Croy said.

"It was leaking slow enough that it didn't set off the sprinkler flow alarm. You have to have a flow from the sprinkler head to do that," said Fire Marshal Mike Winters.

Insurance adjusters have been out and assessed the damage on the first floor and the second floor hallway.

"About a dozen apartments were damaged," Croy said.

The linoleum has been replaced and carpet is scheduled for replacement.

To his knowledge, Croy said there is no lawsuit against Decca, the contractor.

"We have a couple of people who have already moved in and we anticipate having at least 10 others moved in before Jan. 31. Hopefully we will have 25 in by the middle of February," he said.

The flooding resulted in postponing the originally anticipated move-in date of Jan. 2, 2006.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.