The U.S. Department of Education recently announced additional funds for PELL-eligible college students in their first- and second-year of study who took a rigorous course of study in high school. These funds ($750 for the first year, and $1300 for the second) will be available July 1.
For students to qualify for the additional funds, they must fit the following criteria:
1) Must be a US citizen.
2) Must be PELL-eligible.
3) Must be enrolled full time.
4) Second year recipients must have a B average on college transcript.
Each student must have taken a rigorous course of study in high school as defined below:
1) Is/was an Arizona Academic Scholar
2) Wasn't a Scholar, but took three years of science (including two labs of bio, chem, or physics) and one year of foreign language.
3) Took at least two Advanced Placement classes with a score of 3 or higher on the AP test and 4 or higher on IB exam.
Students need only go online and update their PELL information to qualify.