Veterans will be honored in special programs around the community this weekend. The main event will be the town's program Saturday afternoon, with a more intimate celebration later at Rim Country Health and Retirement Community.
The town's Veterans Day 2006 program will be presented at 3 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11 at the Payson High School Auditorium.
The theme this year is "America's Veterans: Past, Present and Future." All residents are invited to attend to commemorate those who have defended, and continue to defend, the standards and values upon which our country was founded, and renew our resolve in support of our American way of life.
The program will include:
- Welcoming remarks
- A presentation of the colors by the Civil Air Patrol Cadets
- An invocation presented by Father Lowell Andrews of the Holy Nativity Church of Payson
- An address by the mayor of Payson
- A series of tributes presented by the students of the Payson High School Drama Department, directed by Kathy Siler. Among the tributes will be: the Revolutionary War, Civil War, World War I, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Gulf War, and a special tribute, "Pass the Torch of Liberty."
- A patriotic medley of service hymns
- A benediction and moment of silent reflection
- Singing of "Amazing Grace"
- A moving bugle tribute of "Taps"
- Closing remarks
For more information, contact Col. Bill Sahno, USMC (Ret), chairman, Payson Patriotic Events Committee, at (928) 472-6617.
Afterward, a special visit will be paid to the veterans residing at the Rim Country Health and Retirement Community.
Another Veterans Day program had been scheduled at the Powell House, but because of an outbreak of the flu, that has been canceled, according to coordinator Art Stone.