The Northern Gila County Fair will be more than exhibits this year.
Special events coordinator Susie Belcher promises all kinds of interactive excitement at the 53rd Annual County Fair Sept. 7 through Sept. 9.
Get ready to be introduced to an assortment of hobby opportunities in Mini Demonstration Classes in the gym at the Tonto Apache Tribe's recreation center.
Friday Sept. 7
- 8 a.m. to noon, Art Classes with Shannon Bielke, who has a bachelor's in art and has taught art at various schools here in Payson.
- 1 p.m. to 2 p.m., Cake Decorating with Peggy Vaughn from Bashas'. She will give us some great ideas on how to decorate a cake, so bring a pen and paper to write down some instructions she will be demonstrating.
- 3 p.m. to 4 p.m., Scrapbooking with Brenda from Paper and Metal Scrappers she said she is going to blow us away with some of her great ideas to make an awesome scrapbook page, also bring questions you may have about decorating your own scrapbook page.
- 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., Photography with Gina Perkes. Gina is going to give us some great ideas on how to take a great photo in your own home or back yard.
Saturday Sept. 8
- 11 a.m. to noon, Floral Arrangements. Sue from Safeway is going to give us some great tips on decorating with green plants also how to care and transplant them, so bring your container and get some tips on how to make a real eye-catching arrangement.
- 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m., Mini Kits for Kids by Home Depot. Home Depot is going to make several mini-kits for the kids, so bring your boys and girls out and let them make a kit from Home Depot.
- 3 p.m. to 4 p.m., Quilting with Quilters Outpost. Wilma from Quilters Outpost is going to demonstrate her treadle sewing machine and also show you her trunk full of the quilts she has made with this machine.
- 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., Jewelry Making with Juanita Swenson. She makes beautiful jewelry and she will also have a booth at the fair where she will be selling some of it, but she is going to give us some great tips on how to make some beautiful jewelry she also has a unique method that makes for a real eye-catching piece so come out and see her.
These will be held at the Payson Event Center on Friday and Saturday at our stage, with lots of covered seating.
Friday, Sept. 7
- 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., The Northern Gila County Fair's third annual talent show contest with $175 in prizes for first, second and third places. First prize will be $100. Second prize will be $50 and third prize will be $25. The contestants can start calling now to get on the list. Contact Belcher at (928) 472-9910.
Saturday, Sept. 8
- 10 a.m. to 11 a.m., Dancing On the Rim School of Dance. The dancers range from ages 3 to17. The instructors are Kamae Carnes and Pam Devoe and they have taught the students a combination of tap, jazz, ballet and tumbling and hip-hop. The classes are open to the public. If you are interested, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.