Residents Witness Re-Enactment Of ‘Anvil Shoot'



Wolfgang and Jean Klein and Gene and Thelma Bettencourt, the new owners of Creekside Steakhouse and Tavern threw a Fourth of July celebration on Wednesday that ended in a very large boom.

They did a reenactment of what was done in the era from 1776 to the 1860s, known as the historic "anvil shoot."


Master of ceremonies Rodney Britain, Chuck Schmidt, and Larry Schmidt, help put the Anvils together.

Back then, many of the villages were too small for a church and bell tower, so they turned to the local blacksmith in the village. They would put one anvil on the ground with a hole in it and filled it with black powder and a fuse and then set another anvil on top of it and light it.

Seconds later, there would be a very large boom, a lot of smoke and some fire. Then the anvil would go up in the air, sometimes reaching 100 feet or so.

Master of ceremonies for this event was Rodney Britain. It's been 15 years since Rod Britain sent his last anvil up in the air. This year, he was going to use a different one that he bought from Clayton Ashby.

They put the anvil on the ground, far away from everybody. It weighed about 125 pounds, and the one on top weighed about 150 pounds. They filled it with black powder and lit it.

Residents standing in the background could be seen covering their ears, as it made a large boom, set off a lot of smoke and even some fire. Unfortunately, the anvil only went about four feet in the air, but it still was a rush for locals -- especially when they all got to see just how fast Rodney could run after he lit the fuse.

It was a fun gathering of friends with a patriotic song at the end. Thanks to Wolfgang and Gene for adding a little fun on the Fourth and, of course, thank you to the master of ceremonies, Rodney.


The anvil lands.

Yoga classes

Yoga classes have started at the Christopher/Kohl's Fire Department every Monday and Wednesday at 9 a.m. The yoga is modified to meet the needs of the "rest of us" -- you know, those that are out of condition and have a rough time touching their toes.

It also provides opportunities for those who are still flexible to participate in the more formal poses. Just show up and have some fun.

Don Anderson

Longtime resident Don Anderson passed away this last

Friday in an assisted living facility in Payson, where he has been for a few years. On Saturday, there will be a remembrance of Don at Creekside Steakhouse at 2 p.m. They ask for a donation instead of flowers to help with burial expenses. Don used to be the head of the boys' camp Wiki Wiki here, some 30 years ago.

Come out and remember Don.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.