Window screens can do more than keep out the bugs this summer. Paul McConnell's Basin Sun Screens can also keep out some of the summer heat.
"Almost 50 percent of the interior heat gain in your home comes from your windows," McConnell said.
Research by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development shows that stopping the sun's heat before it penetrates windows is seven times more effective than using interior blinds or curtains, he added.
After years of building maintenance in the Valley, McConnell discovered the benefit of using sun-screening material on windows. Not only do they reduce the heat coming into the house, they also limit the sun damage to carpets and furnishings, he said.
"The energy savings will pay for the screens and their installation," McConnell said.
He considers these points the highlights of his products:
- Greatly reduce energy costs
- Provide excellent daytime privacy, without diminishing the view from the interior
- Protect against fading and sun damage to furniture and flooring
- Reduce sun glare in the home
- Ensure a more consistent and comfortable inside temperature
- Made locally in Tonto Basin
- Custom fitted to the client's home
- Easy to remove to take advantage of passive heat gain in winter (or to wash windows)
"Because it saves on energy use, it is a green product," McConnell said.
McConnell will come to your home and do a free estimate. Once an order is placed, it takes about two weeks to get the screens made and installed.
"It is custom construction, using the best materials available," he said.
McConnell opened the business in April 2006. He works out of his home in Tonto Basin and is available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and by appointment on Saturday.
Call (928) 479-3369.