- ook for a "Fire Resistant" label when purchasing an artificial tree
- heck for freshness when purchasing a live tree:
- et the tree up away from fireplaces and radiators.
- eep the tree stand filled with water.
- heck each set of lights, new or old, for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections. (Throw out damaged sets.)
- eplace burned-out bulbs promptly with the same wattage bulbs.
- f using an extension cord, make sure it is rated for the intended use.
- ever use electric lights on a metallic tree. (Metal trees can become charged with electricity from faulty lights; a person touching a branch could be electrocuted.)
- heck outdoor lights to ensure they are certified for outdoor use.
- asten outdoor lights securely to trees, house walls or other firm supports to protect them from wind. (Use only insulated staples, not nails or tacks to hold strings in place.)
- urn off all holiday lights when you go to bed or leave the house.
- ever pull or tug on lights.
- Avoid burning candles.
- eep burning candles in sight.
- ever use lighted candles on a tree or other plants.
- se non-flammable candle holders, and keep out of reach of children and pets.
- se only non-combustible or flame-resistant materials to trim a tree.
- void sharp or breakable decorations.
- lace a screen around your fireplace to prevent sparks from igniting nearby flammable materials.