April 15 is 4-1/2 months away, but now is the time to plan contributions to charities, in order to qualify for credits on your 2007 tax returns.
The Arizona Charitable Tax Credit is applied as a reduction to an individual's final tax bill.
The tax credit comes right off the top of your state tax bill, lowering the amount of money that you must pay.
There are a number of programs to which Rim Country residents can contribute.
Among the groups that can benefit from these year-end contributions are:
- Credit for Kids program, which all schools have in one form or another;
- Payson Area Habitat for Humanity, which works to build affordable housing for families in need;
- Payson Christian Clinic, a new program that provides reduced-cost medical services to area residents;
- Rim Country Arizonans for Children, Inc. and
- Big Brothers Big Sisters.
Arizona taxpayers may donate between $200 and $400, depending on their filing status.
Funds given to qualified tax credit entities result in a dollar-for-dollar credit on Arizona state income tax liability.
Contact any area school for information on its Credit for Kids program; PAHH may be reached at (928) 474-0330 from 9 a.m. to noon, Monday, Wednesday and Friday; Payson Christian Clinic may be contacted at (928) 468-2295); to learn more about Rim Country Arizonans for Children, Inc., call (928) 474-2640; BBBS of Northern Gila County may be reached at (928) 468-8375.