Gila Community College's audio visual equipment staff member LQ Harris III might have to stay in "jail" for Jerry's Kids if friends, acquaintances and strangers cannot help him make bail.
MDA set his bail at $1,300 and time is running down to the Oct. 16 deadline.
"This endeavor is for all those kids out there with muscular dystrophy. Being associated with Payson Community Kids for so many years and also losing my own son about a year ago, I know the pain of any tragic loss," Harris said.
A few examples of what people's support helps MDA do:
- $25 provides an annual flu shot for one person
- $85 funds one minute of research
- $100 funds a support group session
- $200 covers a clinical diagnostic exam
- $650 sends a child to MDA summer camp for a week
- $2,000 goes toward purchase of a wheelchair, a set of leg braces or a communication device.
Harris is the go-to man for audio visual equipment at Gila Community College and has been for many years.
Tom Rothwell is a trainer in the college gym.
"We joke that Tom is my jail bondsman, because he keeps telling people about the fund-raiser," Harris said.
The Web site for donations is: