Police Say Couple Was Beaten And Kidnapped


A 42-year-old man who police say attacked two people in their home on Rim View Road is now in jail on multiple charges, including kidnapping and attempted second-degree homicide.

Payson Police Chief Don Engler said Brett Allen Bell, 42, allegedly broke into the residence when no one was home and then waited for Tracy Wilkins and Kenneth Wood to return.

"The suspect had entered the home prior to Wilkins and Wood returning, and had apparently laid in wait for them," Engler said.

Tracy Wilkins, 43, and Kenneth Wood, 39, were held against their will in their residence by Bell and beaten on the head, arms and legs resulting in multiple injuries, Engler said.

Wilkins called 911 at approximately 1:23 a.m. Friday and told police Bell had broken into their home and assaulted them in the early morning hours and then fled the scene.

Bell was taken into custody at approximately 11 a.m. and booked into the Gila County Jail on charges of two counts of kidnapping, two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, one count of first-degree burglary, one count of attempted second-degree homicide and two counts of aggravated assault, with a court order in place.

Engler said Bell did not resist at the time of his arrest.

Police said the initial report indicated Bell had multiple weapons in his possession at the time of the alleged assault.

Upon arrival at the residence, police determined Wilkins and Wood had received head injuries, along with multiple other injuries to their arms and legs, and called for medical assistance.

"The injuries suffered by Wilkins and Wood were all defensive wounds in nature, none of them were life-threatening," Engler said.

"We think this was a personal matter between Wilkins and Bell," he said.

Engler said Wilkins and Bell had apparently been in a relationship at one time.

Payson Fire Department treated them at the scene and Wood was transported to Payson Regional Medical Center.

Wilkins was sent to Good Samaritan Hospital in Phoenix.

While investigating the incident, police also discovered two pounds of marijuana inside the residence.

The investigation is still ongoing and Engler said no one has been charged for the two pounds of marijuana.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.