The Beeline Highway provides easy access that travelers now take for granted until a road closure forces travel along another more lengthy route.
Before the Beeline existed, travelers made their way from Phoenix to Payson via the Apache Trail and Route 188.
In 1937, lobbying began to create a paved highway. Twenty years later, on July 19, 1958, the highway opened and was officially dubbed the Beeline.
From 1969 to 2000, the entire highway was widened to four lanes.
The Beeline Highway project was completed in 71 years.
The designers were awarded for Excellence in Highway Design.
Travelers now have a beautiful drive and a great cruise!
Raffle Grand Prizes and Sponsors
To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Beeline, there will be a raffle for five grand prizes:
- Crate Motor, 350 Chevrolet from Chapman Auto
- 5-day Royal Caribbean Mexican cruise from Service First Insurance & Cruise Port Travel
- Four Peaks Amethyst Ring from Payson Jewelers
- Queen size quilt donated by DPS Quilt Angels
- All aluminum custom radiator from Payson Radiator
The grand raffle prize tickets will be drawn at the car show awards ceremony. Winner must be present to collect prize.