The Rim Country Optimist Club and Public Safety Christmas for Kids will be accepting applications from families needing assistance for the Christmas holiday season. The Optimist Club will provide a complete holiday meal for qualifying families, including senior citizens. Public Safety Christmas for Kids will provide gifts for the children of qualifying applicants (17 years and younger; children must be living with applicant).
The U.S. Department of Health 2008 Poverty Level chart will be used to determine income qualification.
Requirements to participate include: applicants must provide a photo I.D.; applicants must provide proof of residency in Northern Gila County, such as a lease agreement, utility bill, etc. and the name of applicant must be on the proof provided; applicants must provide proof of total household income (only employer check stubs, bank statements or D.E.S. statements will be accepted — handwritten notes will no longer be accepted); children must be living with applicant; only one application per household will be accepted; applicants found to have applied for additional food or gift assistance from other sources will be denied; and Spanish speaking citizens must bring an interpreter.
Applications can be made at 244 E. Highway 260 (Bashas’ Shopping Center) Friday, Dec. 5, until 8 p.m.; and Saturday, Dec. 6, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Winterfest at PES
The Payson Elementary School Winterfest is from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., Friday, Dec. 5. There will be a silent auction, face painting, cakewalk, handprint calendar craft, bake sale, food, hot cocoa, cider, cookie decorating, games and fun. Tickets are 25 cents each and all games will be 1-3 tickets per game.
PES is located at 500 E. Rancho Road in Payson.
First Friday holiday fun
The merchants and others along old Main in Payson are giving the holiday a boost with special events planned for the Dec. 5 First Friday Arts & Antiques Walk, which is from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
• The Community Presbyterian Church, 800 W. Main St., is having a carol sing around the piano and refreshments. The highlight of the evening will be a display of a model railroad with a historical Christmas train, plus other models. If you are a fan of railroading in any form, make sure to stop by. The models will be available for viewing at other times as well.
• The Senior Thrift Store will have a Christmas tree-lighting ceremony at 6 p.m. Friday, Dec. 5 in the store, 512 W. Main Street. There will be hot cider and refreshments, music and a drawing for a Christmas gift basket among attendees present.
• Down The Street Art Gallery, 703 W. Main, will have a book signing for “The Insect Wonderland,” which was written and illustrated by Sybil Kent Kane. Marguerite Young, the author’s grandniece, will be at the gallery in fully lit firefly fairy costume, which is a sight not to be missed.
• The newest Main Street merchants are planning lots for the First Friday fun too, including an open house at Green Scene Solar with ongoing energy conservation and generation discussions.
• Gasoline Alley will have the Kiwanis Club brats along with the Soroptimist Club’s See’s Candy.
• Jim West and Kathleen Kelly will be performing their special style of music at Bootleg Alley.
Park in the Community Presbyterian Church parking lot and hop on the Main Street bus. The bus will be traveling the whole length of Main Street and makes several stops for guests’ convenience.
Holiday craft, bake sale
The Women’s Ministries of Payson First Assembly of God - the church at Green Valley Park - invite residents to attend its annual Holiday Craft and Bake Sale from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 6, at 1100 W. Lake Drive (upper level).
There will be baked goods, craft items, jewelry, holiday decorations, ornaments, gift items, and the members’ specialty: lap throws, baby blankets and cozy quilts.
Humane Society slates open house Saturday
The Payson Humane Society will host its second annual Homes for the Holiday open house from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 6 at the animal shelter at 812 S. McLane Road.
The public is invited to come by the shelter and see the wonderful, adoptable animals, ask questions and learn about the new shelter building. There will be refreshments, a KRIM live remote broadcast, and tours by board members. The 2009 PHS Pet Calendars will be on sale for just $10 each - they make great stocking stuffers.
Donations are welcome, and gift cards are encouraged so that shelter supplies may be obtained as needed.
For more information, call (928) 474-5590.
Craft, bake sale
The Payson Regional Health Outreach Facility and Senior Circle, 215 N. Beeline Highway, will have a craft and bake sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 6. Handmade items, homemade baked goods and loads of other items will be available for purchase. Call (928) 472-9290 for more information.
Soroptimist holiday boutique, candy sales
Soroptimist International of Zane Grey Country will have a Holiday Boutique from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 6 at Rim Country Health and Retirement Community, 807 W. Longhorn. There will be a variety of vendors selling merchandise.
The local Soroptimist club also sells See’s Candy all year round. On Dec. 6, candy will be available in front of Safeway; Dec. 7, candy will be available in front of Bashas’. See’s is also available at the Bookstore & More, 1001 S. Beeline Highway, Suite F; the Senior Circle facility, 215 N. Beeline Highway; and at Fireside Espresso, 614 N. Beeline Highway.
Please contact Tambra Armenta at (928) 978-2356 for more information or special orders.
There will be a blood drive from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 6 by United Blood Services Blood Drive at the Payson Masonic Lodge #70, 200 E. Rancho Road.
For blood donation appointments, contact Tom Jones at (928) 476-4205. Your donation can help save up to three lives. The goal is to collect at least 20 pints — breaking the 19-pint current record for collections.
Library has new hours
The Payson Public Library hours of operation will be from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesday through Friday and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday.
The library is now closed on Sunday and Monday.