Stress is no laughing matter when it comes to health.
It frequently is the root of a broad spectrum of ailments. Humor can be the best medicine to attack stress, at least according to the keynote speaker at the 10th Annual Women's Wellness Forum.
Humor Therapist Elaine Lundberg is bringing her arsenal of wisdom to the forum, which will be held next month.
The 10th annual Women's Wellness Forum is a special day for Rim Country women, filled with information, fellowship and fun. The forum will be Saturday, March 15 at the Payson High School campus. The theme of this year's forum is: "Women and Stress" ...NOW THAT'S FUNNY!
Attendees are invited to participate in the stretch and breathing program held first thing in the morning. There is a continental breakfast followed by a keynote address at 8 a.m. by Lundberg.
Lundberg's popular presentations are both educational and motivational. They help anyone concerned with wellness and stress management learn to effectively incorporate positive humor into their personal and professional lives.
With her program, Lundberg will help participants to learn how to:
- Take their work seriously but themselves lightly;
- Use positive humor to enhance team building;
- Use humor as a positive tool for stress management and wellness; and
- Use hearty laughter to decrease stress and increase productivity.
Her books include: If They're Laughing, They're Not Killing Each Other! which presents the philosophy behind her wellness presentations; and No More Bummers! In which she shows readers how to protect themselves from the "bummer virus" by using positive humor.
Following the keynote address, participants will attend their choice of three out of ten health-related breakout sessions. The health-related topics available in the breakout sessions are:
- "Love Your Heart" (Women and Heart Disease), with Alfonso Munoz, M.D.
- "First Aid for Furry Friends" with David J. Burkhart
- "I Have One Nerve Left and You're On It" (Stress Management) with Jeri Byrne
- "Who Stole My Joy and Why Does My Neck Hurt" (Body Mapping) with Vivian Seville, CNA, LMT
- "Recognizing Cancer In Men and Women" (Breast and Testicular Cancer) with Dr. John Dacanay
- "Toe Readings" (Perscentoelogy a unique system of personality profiling through toe reading) with K.C. Miller
- "A Woman's Journey to Financial Independence" with Kevin Dick
- Car Trouble... Yelling Doesn't Work (Auto 101) with Mike Wicks
- Easy Home Repairs For Women from Home Depot's "Do-It-Herself Workshops" with Dane Owens
- Decadent Desserts for Health Sake (an Interactive Cooking Demonstration) with Devon Wells.
The committee members have worked very hard to make the tenth anniversary Women's Wellness Forum unforgettable, said Cory Houghton of Payson Regional Medical Center and a member of the forum's steering committee.
Following the breakout sessions, participants will be treated to a luncheon and door prize drawings in the vendor hall where local business people will be manning booths with information on many health, wellness and women's-related topics and services.
"This forum has truly become the premier event for women in our community," Houghton said.
It's an opportunity for women to get together to learn about issues that concern them and to enjoy fellowship. Qualified participants can apply for a free mammogram when they register for the forum.
Women interested in attending this year's forum may register by calling the Mogollon Health Alliance at (928) 472-2588. Admission to the forum is $10, but scholarships are available. Attendance is limited to the first 300 pre-registered women.