Officers Involved In Shooting Id'ed


Payson police Sgt. David Blalock and Officer Jared Meredith were the officers who responded to the call about an allegedly suicidal person in the 1900 block of E. Granite Dells Road Feb. 11, which ended in the officers firing their weapons.

Payson Police Chief Don Engler identified the officers in a release early this week.

The two officers fired their weapons after Jacque Rosholm turned on the officers with a weapon at her home, the release said. Blalock and Meredith fired their service weapons in response to a threat, the chief said.

Officers were able to secure the area and summoned medical assistance for Rosholm.

Police received initial information at 9:21 p.m., Feb. 11 about an allegedly suicidal person. The reporting party indicated they had had contact with Rosholm and she was making threats of suicide during a telephone conversation. As they continued talking with Rosholm, the individual heard what they believed to be a gunshot, and the phone was then hung up.

No further contact could be made with Rosholm. It was further stated by the initial reporting party that in their opinion Rosholm was intoxicated, Engler said.

Officers were dispatched to the area. Medical services were also dispatched to standby in the area. Officers made an approach to the residence and began checking the exterior. As Blalock and Meredith began their approach on the east side of the residence they observed a female with a weapon on the east exterior deck of the residence.

The officers provided commands to the female who failed to respond to those commands and turned on the officers with a weapon. After the woman turned on the officers, they fired their weapons, Engler said.

The Arizona Department of Public Safety was called to conduct an investigation, which is standard procedure for the Payson Police Department. Blalock and Meredith were both placed on paid administrative leave during the initial portion of the investigation, which is also standard procedure regarding these types of incidents.

Rosholm received treatment over the next several days at the Scottsdale Osborne Hospital and is now reportedly in stable condition, Engler said.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.