Draw Results For Spring Hunts Are Available From Fish And Game

Applications for first-come tags accepted by mail only beginning Dec. 1


If you haven’t yet had a chance to see if you were drawn for the spring 2009 hunts, draw results are available by visiting the Arizona game and Fish Department’s Web site at www.azgfd.gov/draw.

Applicants can obtain draw results for spring turkey, javelina, buffalo and bear hunt tags by providing a department ID Number (usually the applicant's Social Security number) and date of birth. Draw results are also available by telephone at (602) 942-3000 (press 2).

Game and Fish officials said that hunt permit-tags will be mailed out to successful applicants no later than Dec. 5. Unsuccessful or rejected applicants will have their refund mailed out by Nov. 28.

For those individuals who were unsuccessful in the 2009 spring draw or did not submit an application, don’t despair —there are remaining tags for spring javelina, turkey and bear. Applications for more than 9,000 javelina tags, more than 250 turkey tags, and just over 70 tags for spring bear hunts will be accepted by mail only on or after 8 a.m. (MST) on Dec. 1. For a detailed listing of leftover permits, visit www.azgfd.gov/draw or call (623) 236-7702.

For those who qualify, there are military hunts available for Fort Huachuca. Call (520) 533-2549 for additional information.

Hunters are reminded that spring turkey tags for juniors-only can be purchased over thecounter.

Also available over thecounter are archery-only javelina tags for hunts in metro units. Both of these tags can be purchased at any department office or license dealer.

Be aware that new OHV laws will take effect Jan. 1

Off-highway vehicle (OHV) enthusiasts should be aware that new laws affecting OHV use will go into effect on Jan. 1, 2009.

A link to information on the new laws, including answers to some “Frequently Asked Questions,” can be found on the Arizona Game and Fish Department’s Web site at www.azgfd.gov/ohv.

Here are some important facts you’ll need to know:

Effective Jan. 1, you must annually purchase an off-highway vehicle decal (“OHV Decal”) for any off-highway vehicle you have that is designed by the manufacturer primarily for off-highway use AND weighs 1,800 pounds or less, in order to operate it in Arizona.

This includes most all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), side-by-sides (utility vehicles), dirt bikes and some sand rails. The OHV Decal must be affixed to your OHV’s license plate.

All OHVs must have an Arizona Certificate of Title and license plate. If the vehicle is not titled, or if you have an out-of-state title, you will need to visit an MVD office or authorized third-party provider to obtain an Arizona Certificate of Title.

For more information, see the titling information in the Frequently Asked Questions at www.azgfd.gov/ohv.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.