APS and Rim Country Chamber of Commerce sponsored the 125th Annual World’s Oldest Continuous Rodeo Parade on Saturday, August 15.
The Parade was Co-Chaired by Brian Tollefson and John Wakelin.
There were 64 entries with 84 actual units parading.
The Grand Marshall was Nancy Sheppard, World Champion trick rider and roper, member of the Pro-Rodeo Hall of Fame, the Cowgirl Hall of Fame and the Cowboy Hall of fame.
The two Ambassadors were Tim Kempton and Dan Majerle of the Phoenix Suns. Announcing was Eddie Armer, Fred Carpenter, DJ Craig, with assistance from the Phoenix Sun’s Announcer Al McCoy.
Guests of the Parade were Dora Lee Connally, Payson’s First Rodeo Queen; Leroy & Velma Tucker, Charlie Henderson and Duke Wilbanks, all Rim Country Old Timers.
The winners of the competition are as follows:
• Motorized Vehicle- 1st Place- Payson School District, 2nd Place- Rim Country Classic Auto Club, 3rd Place- KRIM FM 96.3
• Marching Group- 1st Place-Payson High School Marching Band, 2nd Place- Northern Arizona All Airborne Chapter, 3rd Place-Dynamite Sports-Gymnastics & Dance
• Civic/Volunteer- 1st Place- High Country Garden Club, 2nd Place- Payson Pro Rodeo Committee, 3rd Place- Zane Gray Friends of the NRA
• Costumed-non rider- 1st Place APS Volunteer Clown Troupe, 2nd Place Dancin’ on the Rim, 3rd Place- Strawberry Patchers
• Costumed rider-female- 1st Place Prescott Frontier Days Rodeo Association Royalty, 2nd Place Lost Dutchman Days Rodeo Royalty, 3rd Place- Fiesta Days Rodeo Queen- Nichole Fisher
• Costumed rider-group- 1st Place- Phoenix JC Commancheros, 2nd Place Gila County Championship Rodeo Queens, 3rd Place- Glendale Desert Riders
• Horse Drawn- 1st Place- H-4 Farm & Ranch, 2nd Place- Wells Fargo Stagecoach, 3rd Place Mazatzal Trail Riders & Wagons
• Best Theme- 1st Place- The Home Depot, 2nd Place- Payson Rodeo Reunion, 3rd Place- Mazatzal Hotel & Casino.