Homeowner Battles East Verde Fire With Garden Hose

Advertisement

A homeowner’s quick thinking likely saved his home from going up in flames Sunday, after a blaze broke out in a wood burning stove’s chimney.

Just after midnight Sunday, a man in his early 30s returned to his home in the 100 block of West Kings Drive in the East Verde Estates and found the house filled with smoke.

He searched the site-built home for the fire and found flames jutting out near the eaves where the chimney leaves the home, said Payson Fire Battalion Chief Jim Rasmussen.

The man ran to a neighbor’s house and called the fire department, then returned and started battling the blaze outside with a garden hose.

When the man had extinguished the fire outside, he went inside with the hose and started spraying near the stove, Rasmussen said.

By the time the fire department arrived on scene 10 minutes after receiving the call, the fire was contained to the back corner of the living room. Within 10 minutes the fire was out.

Rasmussen said the fire department does not encourage homeowners to fight their own fires. Instead, they should leave the structure, call 911 and wait for help to arrive.

“He took a tremendous risk,” Rasmussen said.

The fire most likely started in the chimney and spread to the roof.

Damage from the fire was contained to the corner of the living room and eave area.

No one was injured.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.