Since October, the FBI believes a duo dubbed the High Country Bandits has robbed six northern Arizona banks including a Payson bank just before Thanksgiving.
On Nov. 25, the pair robbed the Compass Bank, at 613 S. Beeline Highway, around 3:30 p.m., taking an undisclosed amount of money.
Most recently, on Friday, Dec. 4, the same pair robbed another Compass Bank this time in Pinetop.
In all six robberies, a man believed to be between 20 and 40 years old, enters the bank, asks everyone to put their hands in the air and then points a semi-automatic handgun at the bank tellers, demanding money, said Manual Johnson, special agent with the bureau.
Tellers place money in the man’s bag, he tells everyone to lie on the ground and “kiss the floor”. The suspect then leaves the bank with a second suspect.
In the latest robberies, the pair is seen leaving the bank on a green or maroon ATV with suspect number two driving.
Johnson said does not know how the suspects left the scene at the other robberies or if the ATV was used.
At this time, the FBI is only searching for two suspects.
The first suspect is described as white, between 5’5” and 5’6” with a slight build and wearing dark clothing, gloves, baseball cap, sunglasses, a facemask that covers the lower half of his face, and a bomber style leather jacket. His voice is described as being deep, rough or raspy. There is no description of the second suspect.
The following credit union and banks have been robbed all around the same time, between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.:
- Bank of the West, 1945 Highway 260, Heber on Sept. 8.
- Arizona Central Credit Union, 1948 S. Woodland Village Blvd, Flagstaff, Arizona on Oct. 14
- Country Bank, 3044 North Glassford Hill Road, Prescott Valley, Arizona on Oct. 30.
- Compass Bank, 613 S. Beeline Highway, Payson, Arizona on Nov. 25.
- Chase Bank, 5305 S. Superstition Mtn Dr., Gold Canyon on Dec. 3.
- Compass Bank, 781 E. White Mountain Blvd., Pinetop on Dec. 4.
Contact the FBI with any information about the identity of the High Country Bandits, at (602) 279-5511.