• The 19th Annual Strawberry Patchers Quilt Show is June 12, 13, and 14 at the Pine Community Center. Show hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday. The quilt show is being held in conjunction with the Strawberry Festival, which will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, June 13 and from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, June 14. The Strawberry Valley Blues Festival is taking place in Strawberry off Fossil Creek Road June 12-14. Performances are set for 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday, and from noon to 6 p.m. Sunday.
Don’t fancy quilts, strawberries or blues? Don’t worry.
The Rim Country has a full slate of activities this weekend.
• The 29th Annual Zane Grey Twirlers Dance Under the Rim square and round dance festival is June 12-13 at the Tonto Apache Tribal Recreation Center. Hours are 7-10:30 p.m. Friday, 8:30 a.m.-10:30 p.m. Saturday; grand march is at 7:45 p.m. Saturday.
• The Payson Sprint Triathlon is June 13 at Rumsey Park. Call (928) 474-5242, ext. 7 for details.
• The Rim Area Gardeners will present its 2009 Mogollon Garden Tour June 13 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tickets are $5 at Ace Hardware, Plant Fair Nursery, Rim Country Regional Chamber of Commerce, Payson and Pine libraries.
• The Payson Regional Airport Authority and the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) Chapter #810 Young Eagles Program will have free airplane orientation flights for young people ages 8 to 17. The flights are designed to provide an introduction to the basics of flying. The program will be held from 7 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Saturday, June 13 at the Payson Airport.
Parents or legal guardians are required to sign permission slips. For more information, visit www.eaa.org/youngeagles or contact Pilot Marie, (928) 978-5139.
• The town’s Summer Concert Series at Green Valley Park continues June 13 with Higher Power Band. Vendor stalls open at 6 p.m., the concert is at 7 p.m.
• A live jazz performance with multiple artists will be offered at 2 p.m. Sunday, June 14 at the Community Presbyterian Church, 800 W. Main Street.
• Also on Sunday, June 14, wines from Spain will be sampled at Gerardo's Italian Bistro, 512 N. Beeline Highway, to benefit the Humane Society of Central Arizona building fund. Tickets are $20 per person, available at the Chamber of Commerce, Humane Society, Gerardo’s and The Beverage Place.
• The 38th Annual Arizona State Chili Cook-off is also Sunday, June 14 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mazatzal Hotel & Casino. Admission is free, however, those wishing to participate in the voting will be asked to purchase a $5 tasting kit (includes Indian frybread). Event includes arts and crafts booth. All proceeds benefit Time Out Shelter.
Fund-raiser for prostate cancer research
Safeway in Payson is having a used book and movie drive to raise funds for prostate cancer research. Rim Country residents and visitors are invited to donate gently used books and movies. There will be a collection bin and sale at Safeway throughout June and July.
Additionally raffle tickets for a barbecue grill, donated by The Home Depot, are available through July 2.
La Boutique inventory reduction sale
The La Boutique Gift Shop at Payson Regional Medical Center will be holding a sale from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., June 11, 12 and 13. The shop is in the main lobby of the hospital.
There will be lots of stuffed animals and holiday items including Christmas, Easter and Halloween. If you’ve seen it in the gift shop, it could be on sale now. Stop by to pick up some real bargains.
All proceeds from the sale go to support the programs and scholarships offered by the Mogollon Health Alliance. For more information, call the MHA at (928) 472-2588.
Community Flea Market
The Community Presbyterian Church offers a fun-filled event on the second Saturday of each month in its parking lot: a community flea market. Set for June 13, July 11, Aug. 8 and Sept. 12, sales will open at 7 a.m. and close promptly at 1 p.m.
Space registration is held at the church office between 9 a.m. and noon weekdays only. It is just $10 for a 10-foot-by-19-foot space, plus a refundable $10 deposit per vendor.
Beginning July 11, the new Farmers Market will be held in the parking lot as well. For more information, call (928) 474-2059.
June blood drives
There are several blood drives planned in the Payson area during June.
• Monday, June 15, 2:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., Shepherd of the Pines Lutheran Church, 507 W. Wade Lane. Contact Karen Schwenke at (928) 474-2797 or go to www.bloodhero.com.
• Tuesday, June 16, 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., Payson Regional Medical Center parking lot, 807 S. Ponderosa. Contact Cory Houghton at (928) 472-1275 or go to www.bloodhero.com.
• Friday, June 19, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Payson Walmart parking lot, 300 N Beeline Highway. Contact Sherry Ralls or Colleen Pointer at (928) 474-0029 or go to www.bloodhero.com.
• Sunday, June 28, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Mazatzal Casino Bingo Room, Highway 87 Mile Marker 251. Contact Luci Shaw at (928) 474-6044 ext. 6914 or go to www.blood hero.com.
Class of 1989 reunion
The Class of 1989 will have a reunion June 19 and June 20. The organizers need to hear from as many members of the class as possible to finalize arrangements. Contact Stacy Larson at email@example.com or on Facebook.
Driver Safety Class set
Sign up now for the AARP driver safety class to be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Saturday, June 13 at the Payson Senior Circle, 215 N. Beeline Highway.
This is a four-hour class for motorists age 50 and older. AARP members’ cost for tuition and materials is $12, however for the discounted rate participants must have their current AARP membership card and drivers license with them. All other participants must pay $14 — only cash will be accepted. Enrollment is limited, so call Diane Lloyd at (928) 478-0441 to register or more information.
Baby sitting safety course offered
Parents, would your babysitter know what to do if your child began to choke? Injuries are a part of childhood, but many avoidable and unintentional deaths can be prevented.
Safe Sitter classes have helped more than 400,000 adolescents across the country learn basic lifesaving and safety techniques.
The Payson Fire Department is offering a Safe Sitter course for boys and girls ages 11 to 13. Classes will be June 16 and June 17, and are limited in size. The cost is $20 per student.
Enroll your sitter or your own son or daughter now. Give the PFD a call at (928) 474-5242, ext. 300.
Gospel trio to perform
The First Baptist Church of Pine will present a concert with The Royalaires, an exciting gospel trio that has thrilled audiences all over the United States and Scotland. The program is from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday, June 27 at the cultural hall at the Pine Community Center. A love offering will be received at the concert.
For details, call (928) 476-3552.