• The 19th Annual Strawberry Patchers Quilt Show is June 12, 13, and 14 at the Pine Community Center. Show hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday. The quilt show is being held in conjunction with the Strawberry Festival, which will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, June 13 and from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, June 14. The Strawberry Valley Blues Festival is taking place in Strawberry off Fossil Creek Road June 12-14. Performances are set for 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday, and from noon to 6 p.m. Sunday.
• The 29th Annual Zane Grey Twirlers Dance Under the Rim square and round dance festival is June 12-13 at the Tonto Apache Tribal Recreation Center. Hours are 7-10:30 p.m. Friday, 8:30 a.m.-10:30 p.m. Saturday; grand march is at 7:45 p.m. Saturday.
• The Rim Area Gardeners will present its 2009 Mogollon Garden Tour June 13 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• The Payson Regional Airport Authority and the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) Chapter #810 Young Eagles Program will have free airplane orientation flights for young people ages 8 to 17. The program will be held from 7 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Saturday, June 13 at the Payson Airport. Parents or legal guardians are required to sign permission slips. For more information, visit www.eaa.org/youngeagles or contact Pilot Marie, (928) 978-5139.
• The town’s Summer Concert Series at Green Valley Park continues June 13 with Higher Power Band. Vendor stalls open at 6 p.m., the concert is at 7 p.m.
• A live jazz performance with multiple artists will be offered at 2 p.m. Sunday, June 14 at the Community Presbyterian Church, 800 W. Main Street.
• Also on Sunday, June 14, wines from Spain will be sampled at Gerardo's Italian Bistro, 512 N. Beeline Highway, to benefit the Humane Society of Central Arizona building fund. Tickets are $20 per person, available at the Chamber of Commerce, Humane Society, Gerardo’s and The Beverage Place.
• The 38th Annual Arizona State Chili Cook-off is also Sunday, June 14 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mazatzal Hotel & Casino. Admission is free, however, those wishing to participate in the voting will be asked to purchase a $5 tasting kit (includes Indian frybread). Event includes arts and crafts booth. All proceeds benefit Time Out Shelter.
La Boutique inventory reduction sale
La Boutique Gift Shop at Payson Regional Medical Center will be holding a sale from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., June 12 and 13. The shop is in the main lobby of the hospital.
All proceeds from the sale go to support the programs and scholarships offered by the Mogollon Health Alliance. For more information, call the MHA at (928) 472-2588.
Brush pits open
This coming weekend, the Regional Payson Area Project for a Fire Wise Rim Country (RPAP) will be staffing free brush drop-off points at the following locations, weather permitting:
On Saturday, June 13, the Blattner Pit will be open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Blattner Pit is located at Milepost 259.7 on Highway 260, east of Payson. On Sunday, June 14, the Pine Pit will be open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Pine Pit is located .7 of a mile east of Highway 87 on Control Road, south of Pine.
All RPAP free drop-off locations are for brush, leaves, pine needles, trimmings, and other vegetative materials only. Properly bagged Yellow Starthistle, or other listed noxious weed species will also be accepted and will be burned.
Community Flea Market
The Community Presbyterian Church offers a fun-filled event on the second Saturday of each month in its parking lot: a community flea market. Set for June 13, July 11, Aug. 8 and Sept. 12, sales will open at 7 a.m. and close promptly at 1 p.m. Space registration is held at the church office between 9 a.m. and noon weekdays only. It is just $10 for a 10-foot-by-19-foot space, plus a refundable $10 deposit per vendor. For more information, call (928) 474-2059.
Pine Library Friends gift shop open Saturday
The Pine Library Friends will have the gift shop in the old Pine Library on Highway 87 open during the Strawberry Festival June 13 and 14. The shop includes handmade and antique items. It is located next to the Randall House. It will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Free lecture on water
Water of all kinds can be found everywhere. What is the best source? Join Cindy Bryant, CNHP with Healthy Perspectives from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Saturday, June 13 to learn about Living Water, the Source of Life and how to alkalize, properly hydrate and naturally detoxify the body. Reservations are required; call (928) 472-7120 to hold a place.
June blood drives
Several blood drives planned in the Payson area during June.
• Monday, June 15, 2:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., Shepherd of the Pines Lutheran Church, 507 W. Wade Lane. Contact Karen Schwenke at (928) 474-2797 or go to www.bloodhero.com.
• Tuesday, June 16, 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., Payson Regional Medical Center parking lot, 807 S. Ponderosa. Contact Cory Houghton at (928) 472-1275 or go to www.bloodhero.com.
Vacation Bible schools
Sonrock Kids Camp
The “Sonrock Kids Camp” vacation Bible school will be held from noon to 3 p.m., June 15-19 at the Pine Strawberry School for children from pre-school (3 years, potty-trained) through 6th grade. Thursday evening, June 18 parents are invited to supper and to hear what the children have learned. Call Pine First Baptist Church, (928) 476-3552.
Ponderosa Baptist Church is presenting “Starlight Rescue” vacation Bible school from June 22 through June 26. Children ages 4 through 6th grade are invited to attend from 9 a.m. until 12:15 p.m. each day. Sign up by calling Ponderosa Baptist Church at (928) 474-9279. Ponderosa Baptist Church is at 1800 N. Beeline Highway. Transportation offered.
Rock of Ages
The Rock of Ages Lutheran Church will present a vacation Bible school from 1 to 3:30 p.m., June 22 through June 26. The program is for children ages 4 to 12. Rock of Ages Lutheran Church is at the corner of Airport Road and North McLane Road. Registration is 1 p.m., Monday, June 22. For more information, call (928) 474-2098 or (928) 474-3820.
The Church on Randall Place
The Church on Randall Place, 6338 W. Randall Place Road, Pine will have vacation Bible school from 9 a.m. to noon, July 13 through 17. Call (928) 476-4249 for details.
Sitter safety course
The Payson Fire Department is offering a Safe Sitter course for boys and girls ages 11 to 13. Classes will be June 16 and June 17, and are limited in size. Cost is $20 per student. Enroll your sitter or your child now, call (928) 474-5242, x300.
Call to artists
Arizona Plein Air Painters has issued a Last Chance Call to Artists for its Painters View show. The deadline to enter is June 15. Only CD images will be accepted. Enter this prestigious exhibition at the West Valley Art Museum in Surprise, Ariz. The show is Aug. 28 through Nov. 15, with a gala reception Sept. 11. Please see www.arizonapleinairpainters.com for more information.