Halloween is two weeks away and most folks have started stocking up for Thanksgiving, but it’s time to get ready for Payson’s annual APS Main Street Electric Light Parade.
The parade will be Saturday, Dec. 5. Check-in is at 4:30 p.m., with the parade starting at 6 p.m. Entries are due on or before 5 p.m., Monday, Nov. 23.
There is no theme for this year’s event, so participants are invited to share their own kind of excitement for the holiday in their entries. Fees are $25 for floats pulled by a vehicle; $15 for motorized entries or groups of vehicles (such as car and quad clubs), no trailers allowed in this category; and $10 for walking participants.
A mandatory pre-parade meeting will be in the Payson Public Library meeting room, 328 N. McLane Road, at 5:30 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 1. Important information about staging will be presented.
A couple of things to keep in mind for entries:
• Every entry must be decorated with multiple lights (Walmart sells electric inverters in their automotive department).
• Only the “official” Town Santa will be permitted in the parade.
• Do not throw candy or handouts from float or unit. You may only distribute these by persons walking at the curb.
• Each motorized entry must be equipped with a fire extinguisher (this must be a minimum 2A10B:C rated portable fire extinguisher and readily accessible).
• Decorative material on parade floats shall be non-combustible or flame retardant.
For information about fire requirements, contact the fire marshal at (928) 595-2125. Direct general parade questions to Cathy Boone at (928) 474-5242, ext. 374. Applications are available at the Town of Payson Tourism Office, 600 S. Green Valley Parkway, or online at www.paysonrimcountry.com.